Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pink Butchers Paper  (Read 1713 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Pink Butchers Paper
« on: July 07, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »
Ok who's using it? Is it any good ? Where do you get it ? How much does it cost?
It's not available over here but there seems to be a few people importing it from the U.S. And they swear by it
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pink Butchers Paper
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
i hear peeps buy it by the rolls!  never used it.  i like to bbq naked.   :P :) ;)
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:17:40 PM »

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:41:45 PM »
I found it at Amazon, and I've been liking it a lot. Or try a search for 'pink butcher paper' (not sure why it's pink, but there you go).  Just make sure it's not the waterproof kind of butcher paper, and that it's not the stuff that crafters and schoolkids use for making murals.  You want something 'food grade' . 

Here's the stuff I use, and the tube is a nice way to store it.  http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Butcher-Paper-Durable-Carry/dp/B00NC5S6OM/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1436316013&sr=1-2&keywords=butcher+paper

The basic idea is that you smoke something until it's got some nice bark, at which point you wrap it in the paper to retain some of the moisture for the rest of the cook while also not steaming the meat (as you would with a foil wrap).  It's kind of a compromise between going naked and foiling. 

I started wrapping my ribs this way, and it seems to have helped them stay more tender.  It's also a great medium for reheating-- I just leave them wrapped in the juicy paper and microwave them like that.  I also used it on a recent brisket, but I'm such a newB at brisket that I should refrain from comment.  I still do my butts naked. 
One of the charcoal people.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »
I found it at Amazon, and I've been liking it a lot. Or try a search for 'pink butcher paper' (not sure why it's pink, but there you go).  Just make sure it's not the waterproof kind of butcher paper, and that it's not the stuff that crafters and schoolkids use for making murals.  You want something 'food grade' . 

Here's the stuff I use, and the tube is a nice way to store it.  http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Butcher-Paper-Durable-Carry/dp/B00NC5S6OM/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1436316013&sr=1-2&keywords=butcher+paper

The basic idea is that you smoke something until it's got some nice bark, at which point you wrap it in the paper to retain some of the moisture for the rest of the cook while also not steaming the meat (as you would with a foil wrap).  It's kind of a compromise between going naked and foiling. 

I started wrapping my ribs this way, and it seems to have helped them stay more tender.  It's also a great medium for reheating-- I just leave them wrapped in the juicy paper and microwave them like that.  I also used it on a recent brisket, but I'm such a newB at brisket that I should refrain from comment.  I still do my butts naked. 

thanks for the quick explanation.  i will admit i have never taken the time to do a thorough research.  interesting.  one of the very reasons that i do not foil is because i hate the fact that the wonderful bark loses its crispness.

so... must it be a specific type of paper?
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:07:46 PM »
Aaron Franklin did a nice show where he did three briskets; one naked, one foiled, and one in butcher paper.
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365494916/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!