Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: pizza...need help  (Read 1518 times)

Grizz

• WKC Brave
pizza...need help
« on: June 06, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »
so I tried my first pizza in a lodge CI pan and it was a complete FAIL. I need advice on how to cook these friggin things

Grizz

• WKC Brave
Re: pizza...need help
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
I did a ring of RO around the kettle and put the CI pan on the charcoal baskets to get it above the heat, but I couldn't get a heat above 400

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:00:51 AM »
@Grizz

Did this get lost in the shuffle of burnt up handles, overheated charcoal bins, etc. ?

Even if it's done on a Kettle Pizza, this one  from MacEggs is good for showing how to get a hot setup & move the cook along......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/kettlepizza-first-time-firing-it-up/msg55372/#msg55372

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 04:37:44 AM »
lol, no, I recovered quickly from both.  I used the same setup as One Touch Platinum

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/i'll-see-you-pizza-and-raise-you-two/msg168390/#msg168390

I went wrong it two areas:  I tried using r.o. lump for the first time but there just wasn't enough in one chimney to get the temp high enough (which lead to the fatal handle melting incident).  Secondly, and most importantly, when I make pizzas inside using a stone, I dust the stone with corn meal.  I tried that with the cast iron and the dough stuck to the pan.  I still gotta scrape that mess off.  Next time i'll wipe the pan with olive oil before I put the dough on. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 04:43:56 AM »
Quick recovery.......sign of a GrillFella...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 05:25:37 AM »
Yep, you want to oil your CI. If and when you decide to make a deep dish in a CI, put a lot of oil in the pan...your dough will be floating in it. 8)

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 07:04:02 AM »
Good to know!  When I first suggested getting a cast iron pizza pan the first thing she said, "Then you could do one of your deep dish pizzas?"  LOL, I think I made that one time in a pan tin.  Didn't realize it was that popular.  Actually think I'll try one in the weber griddle I got for the bbq system.  Not today though.  Today is for ribs.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 06:08:20 PM »
Grizz yes I think you'll struggle getting much above 400 with one chimney of anything spread around like that, even briquets. Try using a second chimney's worth.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch