Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help I'm Addicted  (Read 3345 times)

Kap1492

• Happy Cooker
Help I'm Addicted
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:37:44 PM »
Love to cook and wife bought me a WSM 18 and now I'm a full blown addict. So much so that I scoured locally to find a used kettle to find a good home. Well I scored a 2007 One Touch Platnium for $70. Overall in good condition with some minor battle scars but very happy with my find. After reading the restoration guide, I finally finished scraping the top and bottom bowels and the look like new. Now on to ash catcher system. The grill was obviously left outsode as the ash catcher system has become oxidized and dull. I want to bring it back to life but I'm finding conflicting information as to what to clean it with. I thought CLR would be a no brainer but it clearly states on the label to not use on aluminum. In the ash pan resoration article it states to used diluted CLR. Figured no better place to ask then here. Also have a question about chipped and slightly rusted areas. Is the best approach to containing the rust and prevent it by using vinegar to neutralize the rust and then apply cooking oil to essentiall season (seal) the spots?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:48:12 AM by Kap1492 »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Help I'm Addicted
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:05:17 PM »
"scrapping the top and bottom bowels"

I get what you're saying here.....I've done that a time or two myself ........ 8)

Welcome here.....you're obviously afflicted with "The Disease"  (Weberitis, no known cure)

Great running start to a collection & good show on diving into the cleanups right off...... ;D

Let's see what we can do with the ash pans and other stuff.....

This is for the regular ash pans & works well....done just a few of these & the cannister style myself, so let's also let some other people chime in about the CLR question & some other ideas here....

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/ash-pan-clean-up-and-polish-procedure/

And, if you want to take it to the outer limits, here's AZ Mikey's perfect ash ring....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/polished-ash-ring/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:13:52 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Kap1492

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 07:36:35 AM »
I meant to say scraping. The article that I referenced is the same one about the CLR. Now I really want the look from the second link but don't have access to a sander.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 07:54:16 AM »
I think you could come close with a buffer on a Dremel or drill......just that you'd want to secure it very well to work on it & go slow , take some time with it.............safe & sane, right?

I've only done one cannister for Alvin's Homer grill I picked up here in town & held 'till he got here....

Not quite as hyper, but I just started with very fine sandpaper (400, I think?) ,went around the circumference using Barkeepr's Friend until the oxidation & small pitting was worn off, then used Mother's Mag polish to finish...........no CLR used.................
Not being so used to using it, I didn't get a super shiny finish, as it tends to dry out as it's rubbed out......all that was done by hand only & I'm sure with even a modest poilishing hub on something motorized (wouldn't have to go out & buy a bench grinder, just buffing rotors for a drill, say) it could come close to Mikey's......

Let's see if @AZ_MIKEY will check in with some pointers, as he's a pro at stuff like this...... 8)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:56:22 AM by 1buckie »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:03:42 AM »
That looks real nice, Ken.  ^^^^ 

I have been wanting / needing to do that to a ring and ash can from a beat up old M/T that I rescued.

Did you use any 0000 steel wool at all?

I also find that on some of my rescues, the ash-can handle (made of metal) is usually rusted to rat-sh!t.  Still serviceable, but doesn't look good.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Kap1492

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »
Not quite as hyper, but I just started with very fine sandpaper (400, I think?) ,went around the circumference using Barkeepr's Friend until the oxidation & small pitting was worn off, then used Mother's Mag polish to finish...........no CLR used.................

Just to clarify, did you use just sandpaper at first and then used Barkeeper's friend? Did you sand in a circular motion or just one direction? I assume the circular swirl marks will buff out? Is the sandpaper good for getting surface rust out? Thanks

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 12:26:18 PM »
That looks real nice, Ken.  ^^^^ 

I have been wanting / needing to do that to a ring and ash can from a beat up old M/T that I rescued.

Did you use any 0000 steel wool at all?

I also find that on some of my rescues, the ash-can handle (made of metal) is usually rusted to rat-sh!t.  Still serviceable, but doesn't look good.

Just to clarify, did you use just sandpaper at first and then used Barkeeper's friend? Did you sand in a circular motion or just one direction? I assume the circular swirl marks will buff out? Is the sandpaper good for getting surface rust out? Thanks

Wet sand with Barkeep's around the ring / bowl......just watch how the 'grain' of the metal begins to show up as it's wet down, went circular on the bottom of the catcher pan......a few areas seems to like steel wool, just to smooth it out, then cleared with damp cloth & polish as per basic instruction on the Mother's Mag can.......

I'm way not a pro at this, it was just OK & didn't really get the time to completely get into it because Argent flame showed up to get it......he really was looking forward to any type of Yellow at the time....went gunnin' & found this .......... 8)

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 01:59:33 PM »
Now I really want the look from the second link but don't have access to a sander yet.

Fixed it for ya.  Don't worry, everything comes in time.  ;D

Kap1492

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »
Anxious and eager to get sanding, I came home and decided to give it a shot. Decided the ash pan handle that is removable was a worthy candidate as it had some oxidation, surface rust and a general dullness. I went over it with 220 dry sandpaper and was amazed at the results. I will follow that with 400 the. Steel wool amd fianlly polish. Is this a reasonable progression or should I go higher grit wise? Is there a benefit to wet sanding? I assume that it is a little less abrasive?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »
Your progression is fine. 400 grit on metal gets you an nice satin finish. Going finer will increase the shine so it's up to you how shiny you want it. I like wetsanding as it reduces dust and keeps the sandpaper grit from clogging
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791