Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS bomb  (Read 4535 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: SS bomb
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 08:35:31 AM »
@Uncle JJ

Lol.. i would love to..but if you saw my own diy list...it keeps growing...

The panels are the easiest part?..ss sheet metal..measure and get a cutting wheel and cut to size...then rivet into frame...for new cross bars..consider ss square tubes...mcmaster sells them...1 1/4" size will match the performer ss frame assembly.
Grills

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
I would need a cutting wheel (idk what that is) and a rivet gun (which sounds like something I'd love to own).  I'm in way over my head - should be fun!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »
I *really* don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I was noticing yesterday while using my SS Performer just how much heat radiates off the bottom of the kettle, even on a relatively cool cook.  It wasn't bad, because it has a lot of opportunity to dissipate, but it might create some problems for your LP plumbing and charcoal bin for longer cooks if the bottom is enclosed.  And I'd anticipate that the SS table itself would become hot to the touch.  Perhaps you can make incremental mods and monitor the temperature under there as you go? 
One of the charcoal people.

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 09:57:44 AM »
I *really* don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I was noticing yesterday while using my SS Performer just how much heat radiates off the bottom of the kettle, even on a relatively cool cook.  It wasn't bad, because it has a lot of opportunity to dissipate, but it might create some problems for your LP plumbing and charcoal bin for longer cooks if the bottom is enclosed.  And I'd anticipate that the SS table itself would become hot to the touch.  Perhaps you can make incremental mods and monitor the temperature under there as you go?

That is my concern.  Is there some kind of insulation wrap that could be put on the bowl itself - like a hot water heater wrap?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »
Yeah, there's high heat insulation.....that's what people use to insulate their firebox & cook chambers when they build cookers (like offsets & box style) from the ground up....
I have some for a "special project" that I got from a ceramics supply  place......kiln insulation......goes to 3800f or something crazy.....

Boy, you guys really went around the bend on this .....commendable, commendable...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"