Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS bomb  (Read 4541 times)

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
SS bomb
« on: May 26, 2015, 09:21:51 AM »
Fella's,
So I've been thining about putting some doors, side wall and back wall on an SS Perf.  They would all be SS.  It occured to me yesterday that this might be a bad idea.  With a piping hot grill, would the temp inside the walled-up SS get too hot?  Would it melt the ashbasket?  Could it cause the tank to, um, explode? 

There would be no wall on the end where the grill sits, btw.  Appreciate your thoughts.
JJ

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: SS bomb
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 09:27:58 AM »
You'll need fans & electronics.....maybe even hydraulic setup stuff.....I suggest you get started !!!!

Actually, I think it may be OK...... @Winz might be one to ask about this kind of thing, as he's added sections of all kinds onto Bisbee......not quite like you're describing, but parallel to this kind of thing....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
JJ- think of a typical gas grill. They are now "all enclosed" but of course not sealed, AND there's a "20lb bomb" sitting inside, right? More importantly would @chuck s , @Grill_Jitsu and I be able to see the fireball if we stood next to I-575?

If there's any way to adapt the SS doors say, from a 90s/'00s Genesis that also came with a similar black frame that'd be sweet. Get with @toohead. Sounds right up his alley.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 09:52:29 AM »
JJ- think of a typical gas grill. They are now "all enclosed" but of course not sealed, AND there's a "20lb bomb" sitting inside, right? More importantly would @chuck s , @Grill_Jitsu and I be able to see the fireball if we stood next to I-575?

If there's any way to adapt the SS doors say, from a 90s/'00s Genesis that also came with a similar black frame that'd be sweet. Get with @toohead. Sounds right up his alley.

You may hear it explode.  You'd definitely read about it in the AJC.

Good thought on the doors.  I've wondered where I might source them.  It'd be sweet if that was a perfect fit.  Gotta scrounge CL for a donor Genesis.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »
I like the sound of this project...sounds like a lot of drilling, measuring and and ss hardware ... (something about a box of hardware from mcmaster being signed for that brightens the day)..also my new favorite...rivet guns..downside.older silver genesis grillls with ss doors are selling skyhigh on cl currently.  One listing in marietta posted for $40 mint condition..later that day repriced at $200.. seller mustve gotten flooded with calls
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:48:15 PM »
Ss steel cabinet genesis grills have been listing bw 160-250 the past month...expensive way to get doors

For the walls..id get ss sheet metal from mcmaster and rivet those tobthe frame..you can leave some ofbthe walls a quarter inch short forbheat exhaust vent...preferably at top ofbthe wall..prevent heat buildup
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:52:40 PM »
For the floor..you can use ss sheet metal and use either ss stock bar or aluminum stock bar (ss stronger) as support beams under the sheet metal tobsupport weight..and then bolt to the frame cross members on the caster frame assembly and axle frame assembly
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »
Mcmaster or fastenal should have the female door hinge receptacles you would need to install to insert the door swings..
Grills

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 06:12:27 PM »
For the back wall you might take a sheet of stainless and cut parallel horizontal slits in it. You could then give every-other strip a twist to give it a louvered effect. This would provide added ventilation while still giving it a sealed up appearance.

Also if you are really worried about the propane tank, you could box it in with sheet metal and line it with some type of fire-proof insulation.  This  mini cabinet inside a cabinet could also be vented on the end away from the kettle.

Just some ideas. I think this would be an awesome mod.  Then all that would be left to do is remove the charcoal bucket and use that space under the lid to instal a gas burner.  Then you would have the ultimate grill.
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:21:30 PM »
I like McMaster. Placed a small order Sunday night and got it the following afternoon.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:27:26 PM »
I like McMaster. Placed a small order Sunday night and got it the following afternoon.

Amen.  I love McMaster.  I have placed orders at 10 am and had a delivery person hand me parts at 2pm same day!

If they don't have it, you don't need it.

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 07:19:01 PM »
2005 Weber Genesis Gold C: each door 16-7/8" wide by 18-7/8" tall; the face of the front panel (excluding the lip the doors close against) is 34" wide by 3-7/8" high. Allowing for clearances for the doors movement I would use a rough estimate of 17" wide by 19" high for each door and estimate the front panel at 34" by 4".

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 08:27:16 AM »
2005 Weber Genesis Gold C: each door 16-7/8" wide by 18-7/8" tall; the face of the front panel (excluding the lip the doors close against) is 34" wide by 3-7/8" high. Allowing for clearances for the doors movement I would use a rough estimate of 17" wide by 19" high for each door and estimate the front panel at 34" by 4".

Sounds like it might work.  I think the SS opening would be 32 3/4 x 20 1/2, if I remember correctly.

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 08:29:45 AM »
For the floor..you can use ss sheet metal and use either ss stock bar or aluminum stock bar (ss stronger) as support beams under the sheet metal tobsupport weight..and then bolt to the frame cross members on the caster frame assembly and axle frame assembly

Thanks, @toolhead, can I just send you the thing and let you do it?  I'm prob going to have a metal fab shop make the panels! 

I think I'll leave to floor open as it is - for ventilation.  I'll have to mount new cross bars to support the doors and walls.

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 08:30:23 AM »
For the back wall you might take a sheet of stainless and cut parallel horizontal slits in it. You could then give every-other strip a twist to give it a louvered effect. This would provide added ventilation while still giving it a sealed up appearance.

Also if you are really worried about the propane tank, you could box it in with sheet metal and line it with some type of fire-proof insulation.  This  mini cabinet inside a cabinet could also be vented on the end away from the kettle.

Just some ideas. I think this would be an awesome mod.  Then all that would be left to do is remove the charcoal bucket and use that space under the lid to instal a gas burner.  Then you would have the ultimate grill.

Defnintely going to use your vent idea!