Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Melted Therms  (Read 1221 times)

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
Melted Therms
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:45:33 AM »
I've had some issues melting a few plastic Therms that magnet onto my 18.5 WSM  :-\ They weren't super nice or anything, but it's still a pain. Does anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on how to avoid it? I should note that I don't have a silicone therm port so I just stick the probe and cord through the lid vent. Perhaps it's just too hot up there and I need to install a port or use one of the grate strap screw holes.
Growing family = growing kettles!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Melted Therms
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:50:54 AM »
Send me your address and I'll mail you a high-temp (600 degree) silicone grommet next week, requires a 7/16" hole be drilled (easy to do with a Unibit.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:42:06 AM »
By "melted therms", I am assuming you mean the body of the thermometer unit.

For both my smokers, I replaced one of the grate bolts with an extension that allows the thermometer body to sit away from the cooker.  Don't have a close up, but you can see the extension on both of them:

If your thermometer body is simply using a magnet to keep it in place, you can mount a small shelf (a metal conduit box lid works well) to the bolt and rest your thermometer on that.  It will position the shelf/thermo away from the body enough that it will not melt.

The low-tech solution is to have a table close by your WSM and rest the thermometer on the table.  I highly recommend having a place to route temp probes into the cooker rather than going through the vent.  You can find the materials to do so at ACE, or order the kits from the Cajun Bandit.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:44:05 AM »
Good stuff guys! I appreciate the good word. I'm thinking about putting the WSM in a cart, so that might be a good solution too.
Growing family = growing kettles!

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:06:48 AM »
Get a Maverick ET-732 and the larger size grommet from Cajun Bandit or the factory grommet. Flip the bracket on the back of the sending unit of the Maverick "upside down" and it will hook over the top of the WSM door without allowing the unit to touch the door. Set the receiver next to your cold beer or on the nightstand for a long overnight cook.