Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Brisket Ever!  (Read 4433 times)

Chuck

• WKC Brave
First Brisket Ever!
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »
So I was at Costco the other day planning to pick up some steaks and maybe some ribs for the weekend. As I was getting the steaks the meat guy showed up at the window with a selection of briskets for another customer. He took his and I took this as a sign that I was due to make my first one. So I selected one of the two and brought it home.

This morning I woke at 5:45 to get the grill started (2x1 snake) and trim and rub the meat with just a basic S&P mix to get a baseline for the cook.

I got the brisket on the kettle by about 6:45. With the cooler temps outside it was difficult getting it up to temp in the original configuration so I added some coals to the beginning of the chain so I was at 2x2 for the starting point and by 8 or so I was stable at 275ish the Monaco Grand Prix was taking the green flag.

Around 10:30 I opened the kettle up to see why my temp was rising to 325ish. I realized I was still wide open on the bottom from my earlier attempts to get the temp up. I went down to about 1/2 open after taking this pic and putting the cover back on.

So this pic was about 12:30 or so. Temp had dropped and were holding around 240 for about 30 minutes. So I took time to make the rest of the snake 2x2 and lengthen it a bit.

Now at 1:40 or so the temps are back to 275 and the meat temp is in the stall range of the mid 160s per the Maverick (for both temps). Unless something changes the lid will stay on for a few more hours until its done. I'll have the Indy 500 on for a while and probably nap for a bit on the sofa.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:57:27 AM by Chuck »
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Andrew

• Smokey Joe
Re: First Brisket Ever!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »
Nice work! Let us know how it turns out. I bet it's going to be great!

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 12:01:58 PM »
At about 3:45 I tested the brisket and its probe tender and is reading 206 on the thermometer. TIme to rest a bit.

This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 12:13:31 PM »
Nice job!  Have yet to try one of those yet.  Look forward to the after pics!

IQ2

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 12:29:36 PM »
Now that's one Excellent looking brisket Chuck. Can't wait to see how you will be using that monster for the next 5 meals :)

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 01:28:34 PM »
that looks great

doing a brisket in a weber kettle is showing you have mastered being a Grillfella

and that you have the force strong within you.

great job
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 01:32:45 PM »
Looks great, where are the sliced pics!?

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 03:00:03 PM »
Dinner is settling and its time to reflect on the outcome. From a looks perspective, I think it was spot on. The underside was on the burnt side, but tasted okay. I'm going to have to figure out a way to protect that next time. I didn't wrap at all during the cook, so there may be some benefit to doing that next time if I don't figure out something else. It was cooked fat cap up, so could flipping it the other way help?

I didn't want to go cutting into the whole thing so the leftovers won't dry out. We got a ways into the flat portion though and it was rather tasty. I think I'll use a little more pepper in the mix next time. This time it was 2 part ground pepper to one part kosher salt. Its not the most tender I've ever had, but it wasn't too far off considering its my first attempt at this cut of beef. My wife has already told me this is going to be her birthday dinner so its at least that good:)

Andrew

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »
[emoji106]

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 05:54:34 PM »
That looks great.  I love brisket as it has so many uses after the first day. 
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

hoochiemama

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration!  I plan to try my first one this weekend (just a flat though). I may try it on my mini.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »
Dang !!!!

That looks really extra good.....way to wrangle it !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »
Good looking brisket!  You could try putting it in a pan with a rack for part of the cook?  What wood did you use?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »
Some folks start far cap down to protect from heat/burning for the first hour or so. But it looks spot on from here!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »
Looks great!  I've only smoked pork butt on my kettle, thought about trying brisket this weekend at Costco, but the cost scared me away.  Awesome job!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!