Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hot Patties  (Read 1256 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Hot Patties
« on: May 16, 2015, 05:53:32 AM »
from last night, hot patties ...

Google typically points you to "Jamaican Beef Patties" and this is basically similar, except my wife's mom is from Nicaragua and it's a little different. For example, no Scotch Bonnet peppers. And although ground beef is used, it's assumed and so, just "hot patties." Still with me?

My wife doesn't know how her mom makes these and so they aren't authentic, but from the taste I'd say we got pretty darn close. We referenced one online recipe for the filling and another for the pie dough, altering it for no flour/gluten free. If that makes sense to you, you'll understand why I'm not posting links, because it wouldn't matter! Experiment and have fun with your own Frankenpatties!

We made 10 patties and I figured direct heat would be OK here, even if I had to gingerly turn them (which I forgot to do ...) and so eyeballing the 18 it seemed they'd all fit, and the smaller machine would guarantee hotter temp for longer, given a chimney's worth of charcoal which in this case was leftover Kingsford Blue, lump and Coshell. (What? You don't sometimes have 3 kinds of leftover charcoal?)

One recipe called for 30-40 mins at 400. As they were being assembled we decided to just cook it on the parchment paper since they were fragile and transportation would be easier, too. However, since it took a long time to assemble, and it was LATE I cooked them in two batches as they became ready.

The grill was too hot by 100 degrees and so vents got knocked down. By the time the first batch was done the grill was too cold (about 350) and so I opened it back up a little, spread out the coals more evenly and the 2nd batched faired better. The first batch had some burned bottoms.

In retrospect, I remember from an earlier cook that two char baskets of Kingsford Blue (about 1 chimney?) in this 18 = 400 degrees and that's probably what I'll use next time.

If you're reading my target temp of 400 and seeing I initially overshot it by 100 you may also know parchment is only good up to ... 400. There was no fire or anything but that first sheet was like a paper chip husk. Also, parchment paper smells a bit like overcooked popcorn at max temp.

Had some friends over and the patties went pretty fast. One was leftover ... this morning I noticed it gone. I shouldn't have slept in.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hot Patties
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:58:24 AM »
Those look like fun, I like the idea of playing around with the fillings and baking the on the grill.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:01:24 PM »
Love beef patties, yours look great!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:41:17 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke are these kind of like empanadas?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 06:31:52 PM »
Yep, same idea.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »
That looks great. I love ground meat wrapped in dough like empanadas and beef patties.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 10:29:54 PM »
I like it!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......