Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sweet. Just won a local auction for a PK Grill  (Read 3022 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Sweet. Just won a local auction for a PK Grill
« on: May 14, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »
I've been keeping my eye open for one of these old aluminum Portable Kitchen grills for the last year or so. Seems they're rare here. Can't wait to get it home and get her all shined up  :)

Condition looks pretty good for what I'm assuming is a grill from maybe the 60's? Grill is turned the wrong way though.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:47:57 PM by AZ Monsoon »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Sweet. Just won a local auction for a PK Grill
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »
Interesting grill, if I remember right you have a later one due to the orientation of the top vent, the older ones were 90dg from what yours is.  The older one ran parallel to the lid and would slide open or closed when you opened the lid!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 06:12:15 PM »
Interesting. I've got some research to do. They started making them again a while back. The current owner of the company saw one at a garage sale, thought it was cool, bought the rights and started manufacturing them in Arkansas again.
http://www.pkgrills.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pkgrills
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:16:19 PM by AZ Monsoon »

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:40:55 PM »
A friend of mine has one and loves it! I am not sure of how old his is.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 06:41:05 PM »
Monsoon, if you go to the off topic section and search for "pk" you will find a bunch of old posts about these things.
I would post the links, but I am on my phone...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:50:22 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 07:25:57 PM »
I had never heard of or seen one of them prior to joining here. But a couple months ago while working, I saw one on an apartment patio. I knew what it was right away and thought it was pretty cool seeing one in the wild/semi-in person. I didn't have a chance to talk to the owner, but I thought it was neat to actually see one firsthand.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 05:45:02 AM »
a new set of grates cost 70 bucks  /// if its from before the restart of the company its iffy if the grates will fit   /// bought a set and had to do a little persuasion to get the top grate to fit

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 06:11:21 AM »
Thanks for the info JC and Ron.

Onion. It looks like they started producing a second set of grates for the grills produced prior to 1997 for $45.00 which may work. I'll have to check dimensions when I get the grill in my hands. http://www.pkgrills.com/the-small-cooking-grid-grate-bundle/

Their accessories are kind of spendy, but they're made in the USA so I understand. Unless I really enjoy cooking on this, I'll probably just clean up the existing grates and roll with it as is.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »
Wow, didn't know they'd been revived! A new one is a bit expensive for the amount of cooking space, but the PK seems to have some really good design ideas.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 07:07:22 AM »
They're promoting these pretty heavily on social media, etc. I hadn't heard of them until a few months ago. They've got a nice website. I like the looks of them...but don't tell anyone!

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 08:30:54 AM »
cool grill