Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Temp Controller  (Read 3858 times)

OnDaRocks

• Smokey Joe
Temp Controller
« on: May 08, 2015, 06:08:45 AM »
Just curious, have any of y'all used one of those temperature controller setups on a kettle?
-hot grills and smokin' good food
22" black One Touch Sliver x 2

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Temp Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:31:13 AM »
I built an ATC for my homemade 18.5 WSM (see link below).  It works great.  I could use it on a kettle as well, but most of my kettle cooks are 2 zone grilling and less than 1 hour in duration.  No need for an ATC for that type of cooking.  For low and slow, it is perfect.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/automatic-temp-controller/

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

OnDaRocks

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:12:05 AM »
I found that after I posted this and that would work I use my kettles for everything low n slow, two zone, high heat grilling, smoking... I'm thinking I could use that might try to make one like you did thanks

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 07:33:53 AM »
I have bbq guru, but I haven't used it in years.  I used it more when I lived in Illinois where the weather was batshit crazy

OnDaRocks

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 07:49:20 AM »
Yeah I have been able to maintain the temps I have wanted. I guess my real question is are they wroth it...do they make it a lot easier or just a little easier. 

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 08:26:34 AM »
on a dedicated smoker, they're basically set it and forget it (or at least, set it and check it every few hours instead of every 30 minutes)

on a kettle, it's not going to be as luxurious as you'll still be adding fuel for long smokes.

What kind of set up are you using now?

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 08:39:46 AM »
I've got a Stoker that I use on my smokers.  It works fine.  I have no need for it with my kettles.

OnDaRocks

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »
I just use the snake/fuse method. I have got it down so I can keep about 220-260 temp for about 11 hours on a 22 kettle with out adding anything. From the responses I probably should just keep doing what I am doing until I buy a smoker.         

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
I have a pitmaster IQ, it works on kettle but works really well on my WSM.

If you are going to use one on a kettle you might look into putting a nomex gasket on the kettle rim as air leaks can cancel out the temp controller.

I did not want to drill a hole in the kettle i was using it on so i had to tape up two of the two one touch vents which was a PIA if you have any kettle with a closed ash catcher. If i was going to use the set up long term, i would have drilled a hole to attach.

If you can master the snake technique or bank and smoke or brick and smoke i think you can get similar results.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »
I think the trick to keeping low temps in a one-touch kettle is keeping just enough ash in the bowl to seal the one touch blades.
Start with very little lit fuel. If you're starting with enough lit fuel to bring the kettle up to desired temp within 10 minutes, you're starting with too much.

Keep the bottom vents mostly closed, and keep the top vents mostly open.
It's MUCH easier to bring temps up than it is to bring temps down.

OnDaRocks

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
Yeah that's what I'm thinking I was just more curious of the benefits doesn't seem beneficial on a kettle. When I get a WSM I will revisit the idea about making an ATC like Winz posted. Yes I agree with you on that Troy       

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »
I've done only a few cooks on my WSM but it seems fairly consistent to me. Maybe if I used it every weekend and wanted something even more "set and forget" I'd use one. But overall, the machines seem to take care of themselves pretty well.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
I think the trick to keeping low temps in a one-touch kettle is keeping just enough ash in the bowl to seal the one touch blades.

@Troy That is an interesting observation that i never thought of before.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP