Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roti Cornish Hens  (Read 1486 times)

Grizz

• WKC Brave
Roti Cornish Hens
« on: May 07, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »
well it was a learning experience.  The ingredients:

Little packets of love for the cavities, wedge of lemon, a handful of sage/rosemary/thyme, and another wedge of lemon at the opposite end.

two Cornish hens (buy one/get one free!) stuffed, trussed up, and dressed up with e.v.o/kosher salt/cracked black pepper.

my weapon of choice.  Each basket started with 20 brickets and a large hunk of apple wood.  Kept adding about four brickets and apple chunks to each basket every so often just to keep the temp around 375/400.  Birds were done in about 75 minutes.  Probably cooked them too quick, but remember, I'm still trying to unlearn years of gas grillin'.

In the drip pans were Bush's Baked Beans and Red potatos that were tossed with e.v.o, paprika, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and rosemary.  I should have given the potatos a BIG head start because they never cooked all the way through, but that's ok, I had a backup plan:

Better half makes killer 'slaw!  Birds were so moist and even though it wasn't a long cook, it really had a nice smokey flavor that wasn't overpowering.  Julia said that she had been real skeptical about this grill but this cook sold her! 

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Roti Cornish Hens
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »
Wow that looks great! For something different on your next go try Dijon mustard mixed with apricot preserves on the outside of the birds - sounds a little weird but it's a killer combo on game hens.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:09:16 PM »
Interesting!  I'll definitely give that a try, thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »
Hey is that a scratch on the lid?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 06:29:16 PM »
Disregard that last post. Don't know where that came from.

HEY, nice hookup!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 11:34:36 PM »
Nice looking birds!  What i do when doing anything with baskets is i will almost fill them up with unlit charcoal then put about 10 or so in each one and let the grill come up where i want it, so no fiddling with adding charcoal.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

dgodwin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 07:09:58 AM »
That's a great looking cook.  I've been thinking of trying some Cornish hens and this is the way I'll likely try.  Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
Nothing like the rotisserie to impress the ladies!
When I use my rotisserie, I'll use a full chimney of lit and won't ever have to add coals to cook an hour and half or more. Maybe like Ron said start off with more coals, and you might not have to mess with adding more coals.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 05:33:45 AM »
Wow. Nice plate. 8)