Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Big Hunk Of Meat This Spring - Butt  (Read 1465 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
First Big Hunk Of Meat This Spring - Butt
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »
Had a couple women at work asking me to cook them some meat. Having today and tomorrow off I took a few deposits to pay for the meat and take 3 pounds of shred when I am done. Rubbed the butt down this morning with a rub made with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powders, paprika, mustard powder, turbinado sugar and cumin:

I took the charcoal ring from my 14 WSM and put it inside of the charcoal ring for Bertha. A couple of broken fire bricks are serving as a barrier between the start and end of the snake I made. Using coshell and some left over lump from previous cooks mixed in. White oak chunks are wedged around the outside of the ring and pre burnt chunks of oak and pecan are in with the charcoal. Grate temp is 243f and holding.

The meat hit the smoker at 9pm. She is just over 10 pounds. I am hoping this will be ready to eat for dinner tomorrow night.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: First Big Hunk Of Meat This Spring - Butt
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »
At about 7 hours in my internal on the butt was 162f. I pulled it, double wrapped it in hd foil, into a pan and then the oven set at 225f:

Then to bed. The alarm went off at 11am and it was perfect. It was then tranfered to a preheated cooler and toweled. I then set to making my beans:

The butt after a good 2 hour rest:

Beans on the Kettle for about an hour and a half at 250f grate:

Nearing cooked I add shred:

I'll add a plate shot when I eat.

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 02:17:11 PM »
Looks great so far! All these PP post are killing me!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »
Wow. I need to bookmark this. I try to do it all on the charcoal but can see the benefit of finishing in an oven here. And those beans!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 03:22:39 PM »
That looks killer, can't wait to see the whopping plate up!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
Okay...finally got to eat...here's the plate shot guys:

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:13:44 PM »
Looks delicious. Great cook.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 04:42:07 PM »
Nicely done (as always) Hoss - great looking plate there!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 05:26:37 AM »
Nice plate MrHoss. Bet it was delicious.