Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seis de Mayo Enchilada Verde  (Read 1183 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Seis de Mayo Enchilada Verde
« on: May 06, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »
Yesterday was carryout Mexican food. It was pretty good. Tonight I did myself. It was better. ;)

Easily the best tasting Mexican food I've cooked.

I mostly followed a recipe on the back of a 28oz can of "Green Enchilada Sauce" from Aldi.

Got just under 2lbs of "shoulder steak thin sliced" (it said on the label) and soaked it in a marinade of olive oil, McCormick Chipotle, The Squealer, Italian salad dressing (not shown) and some juice from part of a Kiwi (for tenderizing insurance.)

Did some very minor fat trim and cut each piece in half. Here's a couple pieces getting quick-cooked, with kettle turned up to med-hi,

Next I hit some jalapeņo slices with the same,

Back inside, meat getting sliced up ... I must confess a few pieces did not survive this stage. Upon close inspection it was determined a few Must Be Immediately Consumed and so yeah that happened.

So after removing the meat from the griddle the carrying pan had collected some juice of course. Looks like "a lot" here but barely covered the bottom of the 9x13" pan ... so I decided to keep it since it was all cooked "au jus". A good call.

After I went back outside I discovered I'd almost burned off the griddle's seasoning. Oops,

Some lame scraping, some more oil, and time to cook the corn tortillas. Yes these are uncooked, perishable, not that stuff with preservatives near the bread aisle ... http://www.tortillaland.com/Tortillas/Corn-Tortillas

You were gonna "warm" them anyway on the griddle, so why not get them uncooked since they don't take but 60secs to do and taste better? Got 'em at Kroger's. This process, one at a time with my 10" griddle and it not being level was tedious however,

OK so the enchilada filling is the meat + cheese + some of the green sauce. There's more here than it appears because that's a large serving fork being used to stir it,

And with some sauce alone laid down in the pan first, here they are, some with jalapeņo slices ... I opted for tacos since I knew I had no hope of folding them into enchiladas. (And I knew that when it was all over it might be more like lasagna but didn't care.)

All prepped (finally!) with remaining cheese and green sauce on top. Holy crap that took a long time to do, about 2.5 hours from initial grill starting.

Now, wait about 30 mins while it all melts and coalesces on the grill. Thankfully, my grillzebo comes equipped with the proper assist during the all important Chef Relaxation Stage,

With some fresh diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce and Cacique Crema Mexicana Table Cream (like very mild and "thin" sour cream)

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Seis de Mayo Enchilada Verde
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:59:59 AM »
Very nicely done!!!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 02:26:41 AM »
Yum! Great cook!
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 08:09:19 AM »
Kiwi, jalepeno & uincooked torts......way to go !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:42:53 AM »
looks really good
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 12:56:37 PM »
Killer cook. Those raw tortillas are head and shoulders above pre-cooked.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 01:58:25 PM »
Great looking cook, nice job!