Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Business Transaction turned WKC Rescue Mission  (Read 4071 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Business Transaction turned WKC Rescue Mission
« on: May 01, 2015, 04:54:15 AM »
Even though my current lineup (performer deluxe, 18” WSM) is pretty complete for my needs (right now), I still look for deals on craigslist, espescially rough kettles that can be cleaned and flipped fairly quickly to fund future projects.

Skimming CL a few weeks back,  I saw an ad “electricians tools…also weber charcoal grill”

I asked for a photo since the listing was 10 minutes away. The photo showed a blue performer! likely from 2010-12 based on the photo.  I was immediately interested and asked for a price.

The seller responded that they “just bought it last year and they wanted $350 for it”

I politely told them that grill was approx. 4 years old and was $339 then so I couldn’t pay $350 for it now. I made what I felt was a fair offer based on my prior purchases and they didn't respond so I went about my day.

A week past and the seller responded again and said they are being kicked out of their apartment and need to sell today. I responded with the best offer I could short notice and a deal was made. I only had one photo to go off but it was a good price so I was prepared to do some upkeep if needed.

The performer was wheeled out to the street cash was handed over and the seller grumbled a bit and disappeared in less than 60 seconds.

My first inspection showed it was decent shape, but far from great.  It wasn’t abused, but rather neglected.

It wasn’t covered which, in my opinion, is sinful given the weather we get in the Northeast (hurricanes, blizzards, you name it), The charcoal baskets were missing. It was very greasy and was It was still full of old charcoal that was so caked from grease and humidity that the vents wouldn’t move, the lid bale wire was attached but the brackets that hold the bale were never installed and the bale just hung of the bowl. The ash catcher ring tabs were jammed into the leg socket holes instead of connected onto the sides as designed. This caused some significant warping of the ring that made connecting and disconnecting the ash catcher bowl a royal pain.

Clearly whoever assembled this didn't know what they were doing but was too arrogant to read the instructions.

The thermoset table had some minor staining but given how bad the tables can get it I was manageable.

I knew I could clean everything up and getting charcoal baskets if desired would be the prerogative of the new owner, but I felt that the lid bale needed to be repaired.

I went online to find the two brackets that hold the bale and much to my dismay I found that the whole bale is now sold as a kit for ~$30 and the individual parts were no longer available. I idea of paying $30 for two small pieces of slightly machined sheet metal was a thorn in my side and would hurt my ability to sell at a reasonable price.

My mother in law happened to stop by to see my wife and saw this blue grill and mentioned that my father in law would love a grill like that and my wife and I agreed that this would be a great father’s day gift once its cleaned up.

Since it was now a gift I reached out to the WKC community for any assistance in procuring the missing parts:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/member-sales-trades/looking-for-lid-bale-upper-and-lower-brackets/msg157913/#msg157913

The WKC came through immediately and thanks to @terrymo, brackets were found on their way!

The brackets arrived this week and the performer performer clean up commenced. The bowl needed a good de-greasing and the grates needed a good de-greasing and rust removal, Clearly these were neglected as well.

Ironically the gas assist fired up on the first shot, i don't think it was ever used!

I am happy to say that this performer was rescued from a life of neglect and thanks to the help of a fellow member this grill will live its life being cared for the way it deserves. My father in law’s 20 year old genesis gets a ton of use and even more maintenance. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if it’s still being cooked on for the next 20 years!

I promised @terrymo  I would post some photos when it assembly and clean up were done:

Since my New York Rangers a/k/a the Broadway Blue Shirts are trying to make a playoff run I decided that this will be known as the Broadway Blue Grill:

A huge thanks to @terrymo , and the entire WKC community! The world could learn a lesson from this site. People helping people because its the right thing to do. Keep paying it forward.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Business Transaction turned WKC Rescue Mission
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 05:01:50 AM »
Very nice post and very nice save!!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 05:11:54 AM »
That is a wonderful post! Thanks for saving that grill, your FIL will be thrilled. The WKC comes together and gets things done!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 05:16:15 AM »
i was going to say great story and looks great!

But I can't because you're making that poor kid wear a Rangers shirt.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 05:32:45 AM »
Nice save and great picture!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 05:40:58 AM »
i was going to say great story and looks great!

But I can't because you're making that poor kid wear a Rangers shirt.
A chuck attacking a charlie?

That aint right! :)
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 05:47:22 AM »
Now that's what it's all about right there! Great pickup, cleanup and story - it looks new!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 06:21:02 AM »
Looks great! Happy to help in a small way

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 06:29:47 AM »
What a great story glad you were able to gift it to your Father in law. Grill looks basically brand new. Rescue Restore Respect
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 06:59:46 AM »
The grill is a real beauty. Nice work.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 08:57:11 AM »
Very cool story. Nice looking grill and nice restore.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 10:07:20 AM »
Great story. Lol! So much for making top dollar on a quick flip. oh well. at least you have a familiar grill when you go over to visit. Nothing worse than being voluntold to grill something on untested unfamiliar grills. Usually ends up in "dissatisfaction"  well played sir
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 01:42:13 PM »
Great story! Your father in law will be very happy.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »
You did an awesome job! Nice save.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 05:51:58 AM »
Great story, and grill! Way to represent the club in the right way!