Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: When did Weber introduce one touch cleaning?  (Read 1775 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
When did Weber introduce one touch cleaning?
« on: April 27, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »
Does anyone know the exact (or approximate) year Weber introduced the one touch cleaning system? I made an earlier post yesterday of an F code black kettle from 1984 with the one touch cleaning system. It was the oldest one touch I had ever seen. I was under the impression that Weber introduced the one touch cleaning system sometime around 1986? Does anyone know exact year for sure or have a one touch kettle older than the F code I posted yesterday? I'm just really curious about this. Thanks
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: When did Weber introduce one touch cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:12:45 AM »
From my article: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/03/converting-a-weber-ots-to-otg/

The Weber Kettle has had an ash catcher dish for more than 60 years. Weber was the first company to popularize the adjustable vents under the charcoal for temp control and an ash catcher prevented the ash and embers from falling on the ground. Weber first invented the One touch system in 1982 and filed for patent #CA 413907 on Oct 21, 1982.  The One-touch has 3 elongated vent slots in the kettle base that served the dual purpose of airflow and ash removal. The actual vent scraped the bottom of the bowl while also being able to adjust the vent opening. The One-Touch ash sweeper and vent was moved with a handle outside the kettle.

It's likely that the OT was implemented in year1983 for kettles of E/F vintage.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:36:39 AM »
Earliest known OT kettles are E code.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:38:19 AM »
From my article: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/03/converting-a-weber-ots-to-otg/

The Weber Kettle has had an ash catcher dish for more than 60 years. Weber was the first company to popularize the adjustable vents under the charcoal for temp control and an ash catcher prevented the ash and embers from falling on the ground. Weber first invented the One touch system in 1982 and filed for patent #CA 413907 on Oct 21, 1982.  The One-touch has 3 elongated vent slots in the kettle base that served the dual purpose of airflow and ash removal. The actual vent scraped the bottom of the bowl while also being able to adjust the vent opening. The One-Touch ash sweeper and vent was moved with a handle outside the kettle.

It's likely that the OT was implemented in year1983 for kettles of E/F vintage.

Thanks!
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 08:39:02 AM »
Earliest known OT kettles are E code.

@Craig  ..Thanks!