Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sideways K - Solid Red OT+  (Read 4469 times)

SixZeroFour

Sideways K - Solid Red OT+
« on: April 14, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »
Here's a funky red kettle that has really grown on me! As the title states it's a solid red "K" code (1988) One-Touch Plus sporting some bamboo Weber handles. The handles originally came with the replacement ranch handle straps used for the new heat shield delete mod. They are a bit odd looking on their own but somehow they just work on this kettle 8)

I love the obscure little OT+ model... I think I might even prefer it to a M/T :o ... There's just something about kettles with flat ash pans 8)

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Shafzilla

• WKC Brave
Re: Sideways K - Solid Red OT+
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 02:35:17 PM »
Nice and shiny. Those handles look like orange plastic.
"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."- Ron Swanson

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 02:37:46 PM »
  That cleaned up nicely, great job . That honey oak color was pretty popular in the 80s so your spot on there with the Handles
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 03:01:56 PM »
More than the M/T? What..that is not even possible ;-) Seriously though...gorgeous!! Didnt even know this existed..learn something every day.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
there's a thread around here somewhere that'll help you get that triangle sorted.  :o

really nice looking OT+. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
That '88 came stock with a twist on pan? Or did you pull a Craig and play musical pans :o

Oh and its eff'in beautiful BTW... 8)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:03:55 PM »
Wow, Six, we are like twins or something.  First we both have EZ JJs, and now this.  My first red (and my first used Weber) is a sideways K OT+.  I quickly converted it to an MT, adding a modern ash pan and stainless ash sweeps.  This grill is special to me too because it's from the year I graduated high school. 
One of the charcoal people.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »
I agree those handles look right on there, nice looking OT+.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:10:32 PM »
604, if this is going to be exposed to the elements, Keep an eye on the bamboo handles.  IMO they are the least durable handles Weber has produced.  If exposed they sort of start to "splinter" after a couple years.  When I ordered handle brackets a few years ago for a project, I put the bamboos on a workhorse kettle.  They have not held up as well as original handles r zavandles do.

Still a nice kettle of course!

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:45:22 PM »
Beauty! WOW!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 11:21:48 PM »
those handles are trippy. My NIB fireplace I scored 2 years ago had them. After 2 years in the sun, and less than 10 rains, they look like my dog ate them, shit them out, and then chewed on them for a while.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 11:29:29 PM »
604, if this is going to be exposed to the elements, Keep an eye on the bamboo handles.  IMO they are the least durable handles Weber has produced.  If exposed they sort of start to "splinter" after a couple years.  When I ordered handle brackets a few years ago for a project, I put the bamboos on a workhorse kettle.  They have not held up as well as original handles r zavandles do.

Thanks G$, these handles were just grabbed off the bench for fun - any kettles that live outside usually do so with plastic handles or none at all. 8)

That '88 came stock with a twist on pan? Or did you pull a Craig and play musical pans :o

The 88' came with a twist on pan the same as the one in the pic (just a whole lot dirtier 8)), but I know the "M" 1990 Blue OT+ I had awhile back came with the smaller pan w/spring clips. Oddly enough there was also an old bar style ash catcher bucket and assembly inside this kettle when I got it. I don't know if this was just thrown in by the original seller or what... it was picked up by friends months ago.

there's a thread around here somewhere that'll help you get that triangle sorted.  :o
really nice looking OT+.

Thanks - and yes... the triangle has been completely neglected so far. I'll get around to it eventually :)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 11:32:56 PM »
those handles are trippy. My NIB fireplace I scored 2 years ago had them. After 2 years in the sun, and less than 10 rains, they look like my dog ate them, shit them out, and then chewed on them for a while.

lol, yeah the handles aren't what I would call "Nice" but I think they give the kettle an interesting look. All my wood handles come off the kettles that are stored outside as here in the PNW we get 10 rains every two weeks... not every 2 years ;)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 11:36:29 PM »
More shots of the handles... they look like overseas copies of the standard handles 8)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 01:19:43 AM »

Thanks G$, these handles were just grabbed off the bench for fun - any kettles that live outside usually do so with plastic handles or none at all. 8)

........real men don't need wood on their handles !!!!

That's a sterling example of a very interesting chapter in the history......

Here, stick one out with these two improvements (bale / therm) while we figger out an ash pan that will keep from burning down people's wooden decks..... 8)

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"