Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spring Break Experiment #3 - Lollipop Chicken Legs  (Read 764 times)

HokieBrad

• Happy Cooker
Spring Break Experiment #3 - Lollipop Chicken Legs
« on: April 11, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
Never tried these before...making the lollipops was a lot more than I figured...once I got rolling it wasn't so bad.

Once lollipopped I sprinkled with some Stubbs Chicken rub, and then a second coat of Chili Lime rub...

Got the the grill up to 300...threw on a couple of chunks...(will reduce to 1 chunk nesxt time) and put the pops in a pan with a stick of butter melted in the bottom.  Smoked for about 2 hours at 300...pulled them out, dredged them in a bbq sauce hodgepodge...1 cup of Sticky Fingers Carolina sweet and 1/2 cut of Saurs Original...(been on the grill gathering smoke for 2 hours and heating ujp nicely)

After about 35-40 minutes...check the temp...175...pulled them off and the kids left happy and full...and no leftovers again....

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Spring Break Experiment #3 - Lollipop Chicken Legs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »
Those look really cool! Do you just score the bottom of the leg and push them up to make them into lollipops?

HokieBrad

• Happy Cooker
Re: Spring Break Experiment #3 - Lollipop Chicken Legs
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:39:31 AM »
I took a knife and cut all the way around above the knuckle joint.  I make sure I got the tendons cut and then I just slide the cut part over the knuckle and pull off.  Then I pulled that little bone out next to the big bone as best I could.  Then I pushed the meat down as the bone as far as I could.  Shaped them a bit, used scissors to cut any dangling tendons away, and stood them up.  I butchered the first couple but once I slowed down the process got easier...