Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slate Plancha  (Read 1935 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Slate Plancha
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:27:33 AM »
This looks like a good idea.  A nice alternative to the CI griddle I recently purchased.  I wonder how it compares.  I suppose it must be similar to using a pizza stone, although I wouldn't oil my pizza stones.

4" of lump kicked off by a chimney seems like an awful lot of coal to use.

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/how-to-use-the-plancha-method-to-grill-with-slate
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:29:09 AM by ClubChapin »

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Slate Plancha
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:56:46 AM »
It sounds cool, but man, with that much fuel it better be in a beater kettle!

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:17:32 AM »
@austin87

Couldn't agree more.  The kettle pizza oven weber offers in Europe calls for 100 briquettes.  That is a ton of charcoal!
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 05:19:49 AM »
Apart from their error on coal, the idea of using a slate tile from HD I think is worth trying.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »
Interesting. Plancha refers to a metal, not stone surface. But I'm not sure all of the subtleties matter. For instance, Wikipedia says a plancha is a flattop grill, that being different from a griddle by being heated radially and not with a heat source lined up straight (such as a gasser's tube would do.)

That said, none of our regular griddles heated on a gas stove would be termed flattop grills ...
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch