Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: performer axles  (Read 2129 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
performer axles
« on: April 03, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »
Are the ss perfor.er axles same size and fit for gen 3 performer?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:17:26 AM by toolhead »
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: performer axles
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 04:30:41 AM »
I think the frame widths might be a little different, which would suggest axle length differences. But even if so, can't be much?

I recall some discussion here about a year or so ago about someone substituting (or having the idea to substitute) some stainless steel bar stock as an axle replacement. Of course, you'd have to get it the correct length; hacksawing SS ain't gonna happen.

Perhaps someone else here will chime in or can measure the axle length of their recent Performer. You sure yours is roached/can't be saved?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
performer axles
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 08:50:12 PM »
I just happened to have a newer model Performer dismantled. The axle is 29 1/4"+-..... That's from a DR code Grey Performer (2006).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:57:38 PM by Fishawn »

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 03:06:07 AM »
I sanded mine down to metal..remove rust and coated with mobile 1.

Didnt bother painting bc when moving the grill around the paint will srub off pretty quick...

Iml probably replace with ss rods

Thanks a bunch
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 03:06:34 AM »
Btw that ss rods aint cheap...dang...pretty pricey upgrade
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 05:20:35 AM »
I suppose it's something we'd all have to confront eventually. You're right about that, SS isn't cheap. What did you find, 304 bar stock or something else?

Maybe primer and paint your bar but use wheel bearing grease at the wheels--should stick around longer than engine oil. Only a little bit of the axle in that case should be exposed to scrubbing friction.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 08:11:35 AM »
Good ideas..found 316 ss 3/8" rod...yeah..pretty pricey but may pull the trigger...would buy 6ft length and see how many axles i can pull....

The cutting is not an issue...dremels and oscillatong tools with metal cutting bits at hand.

Gotta be easier than the service hole drilled into 16 gauge ss ink to add an undercounter water filter
Grills

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »
Try using 2 SS bolts instead of an axle

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 08:17:11 AM »
Yet another interesting idea..no wobble issue?
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
I'd want to reinforce the frame holes with ferules or ? to help avoid rounding out the hole ... weight won't be centered as the wheel hangs off to the side.

Or use a bolt long enough to allow a "control arm" or locating link (yes, think car suspension) where the link is a bar that comes down from the cross frame and the bolt goes through it as well.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 11:26:46 AM »
Good thoughts..i was thinking you may want something else in that bolt setup to help with the potential weight/frame weight /load distrbution
Grills