Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ash catcher bar working with 7444 ash sweep  (Read 1576 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
ash catcher bar working with 7444 ash sweep
« on: April 12, 2015, 04:52:28 PM »
Has anyone got the ash catcher bar working with the new 7444 (ornis it 7447) ash sweep.

Ive conceptualized the mod to make this work...but before i start..wondering if anyone already made this mod?

I did a search on this a read some threads that a part was gona be fabricated by a member..but didnt see details about end result. 
Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: ash catcher bar working with 7444 ash sweep
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »
Hate to keep pestering him, but pretty sure Lawrence know the most about this.... 

@pbe gummi bear
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:24:36 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 09:24:13 PM »
Someone looking for me, @1buckie?

@toolhead is this the thread you are read?
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/diy-old-style-one-touch-gold-ash-catcher-bar/

I never built any parts that extend the H clip components as the 7409's can still be found. I think making that part would be doable- what type of tools do you have access to? A bent part like this needs pretty tight tolerance to work:

I've been back logged on all my project updates but here is the model for the H bracket with added clearance for the old ash catcher bar.

I estimate that you only have about .010-.015" of tolerance for that keyhole before it's too loose to click in or too tight to get good action on the sweep.

You could also fab those two tabs that come down with separate pieces then bolt them to a block inside the kettle. You can then use a clearance adjustment screw to change your preload on the keyhole. The beauty of this is that the parts will be easy to make and tolerances won't be critical.

Thoughts?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:22:43 AM »
Thanks guys..simple home garage workshop

I fabricated a few ash catcher bars from 1/8" stock aluminum.

Been conceptualizimg how to makenit wirk with 7444 ash sweep to help members to bot be reliant on the 7409

Ill keep all updated as i think i maybhave a simple diy mod forbthis .

Ill probably be able to play with mod this weekend

Grills