Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Kind Of Grates Should I Buy for Weber 22 Kettle?  (Read 5687 times)

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
What Kind Of Grates Should I Buy for Weber 22 Kettle?
« on: April 02, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »
I have a 2009 Weber Performer that is the main family grill.  It has the original stock grate on it with side hinges.  I have some grilling to do for a large group so I am resurrecting the Weber 22 inch kettle we got for a wedding gift 18 years ago.  I had to order a new bottom grate and the top grate is broken.  So I am thinking of taking the Performer grate and passing it on to the old kettle and replacing the Performer grate with a "performance grate".  I read about the Clayco and Stok cast iron grates, but hardly can stomach the money it costs.  What grate do you recommend and which ones are worth the price.  I smoke ribs or something on the Performer about once a month and grill approx. once a week.  Thanks!

Troy

• Statesman
Re: What Kind Of Grates Should I Buy for Weber 22 Kettle?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »
Honestly, I've become a big fan of the new gourmet grates

They're thicker than the standard weber grates. That means more durable, and better heat retention (better grill marks)
The inserts are pretty cool (wok, sear grate, griddle), and the $35 price tag isn't outrageous.

I've owned two sets of craycorts, and i LOVE them in my 26, but in a 22 (especially the performer), they're a hassle.
Everytime you want to load the grill up, you need to remove 4 sections AND the main ring. What a pain.
With the gourmets in a performer, you don't even need to remove the entire grate to add/light fuel - just remove the middle section.

I've also owned the STOK cast iron grates. They function well in a performer. The spacing and shapes are a bit weird, but they're not terrible.
You'll get some good grill marks, but the workable space overall will make it difficult to get consistent marks on multiple cuts of meat. THe porcelain finish on the STOK grates also creates cleaning and seasoning issues.
Any marinated foods will likely make a hell of a mess of the stok grates, and cleaning them is a pain due to the ring, its crevices, and the odd shape and spacing of the bars.

Charbroil makes a cast iron grate as well, but the bars are too 'sharp' for me. They produce tiny line marks and are prone to sticking to softer meats like chicken and fish. Plus the pattern of the grid produces unappealing marks (in my opinion)

EDIT: there's now a list of the best cast iron grates for the weber charcoal grill here:
http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2018/09/17/cast-iron-grates-for-weber-charcoal-grills/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:38:25 PM by Troy »

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:02:35 PM »
I was going to come in and chime but I think Troy pretty much summed it all up. I have a STOK grate and like he said, its nice but really dont use it much as the first time it was difficult to clean. I would vote for the gourmet grates also.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 12:25:33 PM »
Another nice thing about the Gourmet System is that you don't have use Weber's inserts. The opening will accommodate a smartly-chosen 3rd party carbon steel wok or maybe even a stainless steel "shaker basket" for example.

Here's a wildcard option (for later), if you use one of the flip-top grates: Lodge 11"x15". http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063RXLU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

It fits between the flip-tops and it's "real cast iron" (no porcelain coating to worry about flaking off ... irony, that ...)

That said, the spacing between the bars is a bit narrow for my liking and makes it a bear to clean. I need to figure that out. And then re-season mine before using it again.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 12:30:17 PM »
If you are near a b&m Menards, they sell a Stainless Steel Cooking Grids Compatible with 22.5" Weber® One-Touch® http://www.menards.com/main/p-2452239-c-10141.htm
$25, pick up at store
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:32:46 PM by Red Kettle Rich »
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »
Another vote for the gourmet grate, but for the price the standard grate is good too.

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »
I was in the same boat as you when I was deciding on a new grate for my 22". I happened on a deal through a member here for a gourmet grate with CI insert at a great deal I couldn't pass up. Even eliminating the insert I got, I would absolutely make the same choice. The gourmet grate is solidly made and great to cook on for all of the reasons Troy touched on.

And a quick thanks to Troy for vocalizing what was bugging me about the Craycort CI grates. When deciding I was heavily leaning towards one of them but hesitated every time because I didn't like something about the design but could not figure it out.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
If you are near a b&m Menards, they sell a Stainless Steel Cooking Grids Compatible with 22.5" Weber® One-Touch® http://www.menards.com/main/p-2452239-c-10141.htm ... $25, pick up at store

or if not, thru Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Care-17436-Stainless-Compatible/dp/B00TEBBAPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428031921&sr=8-1&keywords=grill+care+22.5+stainless

I'd forgotten about that one. Can't recall if anyone here uses one. Seems decent however.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 07:54:58 PM »
I bought the BBQ system one but I haven't even used it yet, but it is thicker then the hinged one. The basic noon hinged one is a waste, at least get the hinged one. I'm for cast iron but don't like comments I saw on the stok and I agree the others are pricey
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:14:38 PM »
I'm not a fan of the 2 piece grates. I find having to handle and move and store 2 pieces very annoying.

I like the basic flip side weber. I do have one of the Charbroiled CI grates and it works fine.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
I love my regular hinged Weber grate. I've thought about the Gourmet BBQ System.... I haven't found it to be a must have. I don't have a wok, if I did it might make the GBS more worth while.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 07:11:23 AM »
I got the Weber 22" stainless steel flip up grate and like it for my performer.  Won't rust away/flake like the chrome plated ones, though they just I think doubled the price on it.  Only available directly from Weber.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 08:29:36 AM »
Whichever grate you get youll need to season it a little before the event. I use Jiffy Lube on the grate and the food (lightly) when the grate is new. It sucks big time to shred dinner on a sticky grate.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 10:27:52 PM »
Interesting topic, I have been reading about all the cast iron grates that are available for years and have tried using some of these grates. I understand that some people like the grid marks left on their meat by using the cast iron, but I believe that with a charcoal grill you get the best infrared sear on meat if you use the thin standard weber grates.  You can find something on his at the meathead web site, I agree with him on this. I use to think I was the only one who felt this way. I no longer use cast iron grates on the kettle. Cast iron grates are better for gas grills at about 450 to 500 temperature. I remember reading on a web site from one of the top end infrared gas grill makers that boasted their grills provide an infrared sear as good as a charcoal grill. It is true that with charcoal, you do not need heavy grates that mark up your meat. 

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »
Ok, I bought the Weber gourmet grate.  Do I need to season it, and if so how? Thanks!