Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I need help with my 26'er  (Read 6703 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
I need help with my 26'er
« on: April 01, 2015, 01:03:50 PM »
I recently purchased a brand new 26'er. It was a leftover 2014 model. (The last year for the old design). The older 2014 model has the plastic wheels. The new 2015 model has real rubber wheels. So, I decided I wanted to upgrade the wheels on my 26'er from the cheap plastic wheels that came with it, to the newer rubber wheels that come with the new 2015 models.

I called Weber and tried to buy two of the new 2015 rubber wheels. They refused to sell them to me because my 26'er is registered as a 2014 model with cheapo plastic wheels. I tried ereplacementparts.com and they don't sell them. Does anyone know where a set of these could be purchased?

Another idea: Does anyone who owns a new 2015 26'er would be willing to agent a purchase through Weber for me? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:05:36 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: I need help with my 26'er
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »
How odd. What the heck do they care what you want to buy?
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »

They told me that by putting different wheels on my 26'er than those that originally came with it would be modifying it and would void the warranty.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 01:15:45 PM »
I needed an ash bucket when I was converting my 18 brownie to a OTG.  I didn't have an 18 otg registered and they refused to sell it to me.

I called back and registered a fake 18 OTG.  It may be different to fake register a 2015 26er since they might want the CN number, but if you just claim that you can't read it give them some fake numbers.  Give it a couple tries and I bet you'll get a customer service rep who will sell it to you.

Sad that we have to do this...

dcharette

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 02:52:07 PM »
the two letter code on my 26 starts with CU and then here is a 7 digit number that follows. my first 2 digits start with 32..... so it looks like CU32XXXXX.  I have already registered mine but if you shoot me an note ill get you closer to the number and you can see if that works.

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »
are the model numbers the same for the '14 model vs the '15 model?  Mine is being delivered by Friday and now I'm curious which one I'll be receiving....  I just assumed it would be a '15 model....

dcharette

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:20:14 PM »
I ordered mine on amazon. It came as a 15 model and that's just based on the wheels. My lack of knowledge on the unit wouldn't be able to tell the difference other than the wheels.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 05:19:30 PM »
are the model numbers the same for the '14 model vs the '15 model?  Mine is being delivered by Friday and now I'm curious which one I'll be receiving....  I just assumed it would be a '15 model....

No, model numbers are different. 2015 model number is 16401001. You will definitely be receiving the '15 model. The '14 models are no longer made or sold. I had to go to great lengths to find one of the last few remaining NIB '14 models still available.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 05:55:47 PM »
Tell them your hired to replace the tires after your customer burned them off. Then ask them if adding hi performance exhaust pipes voids the warranty too. (its a harley issue the pussies on the harley forum sweat over)
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »

No, model numbers are different. 2015 model number is 16401001. You will definitely be receiving the '15 model. The '14 models are no longer made or sold. I had to go to great lengths to find one of the last few remaining NIB '14 models still available.

There are some 2014 26ers in NorCal at local hardware stores. I've asked repeatedly for price breaks because it's "last year's model" even though I like the placement of the vent better on the 2014 than 2015 model. But they just won't budge :(

If anyone wants a 2014 26er I would be willing to agent and ship. Shoot me a PM. I'm still holding out hope for a CL find but have almost pulled the trigger a dozen times.

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:21:44 PM »

What makes the '14 that much better to go to those lengths?

hogsfan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »
The worst thing about the '15 compared to the 14 is the placement of the thermometer makes it almost useless. Other than that, I like mine a lot.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »

What makes the '14 that much better to go to those lengths?

Weber moved the vent in the lid for 2015. This was a change for the worse IMO. When the vent was in the old position you could smoke food with the charcoal in back near the lid bale and the food in the front near the pull handle on the outside of the bowl, so when you walk up to the grill and open the lid, the fire is on the left and the food is on the right giving you a left/right configuration.

Now with the vents moved, you have to either reach over the fire to tend to the food on the other side or reach over the food to tend to the fire on the other side or continually have to keep walking around the grill every time. Also, with the vent and thermometer now being opposite of each other, you can't adjust the top vent and read the thermometer at the same time. You now have to walk around the grill to get access to the other side or have to constantly keep spinning the lid?

The other thing is the new ash bucket has been changed. Now, it is too difficult to put it on and take it off. I am 50 years old and have arthritis in my hands. The last thing I want to have to do is squeeeeeze the handle super tight in order to get the bucket on and off. Personally, I think the ash bucket should slide in and out effortlessly just like the little compartment cup that holds the coffee filter in an automatic coffee maker.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:09:17 PM by ramsfan »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:41 AM »

They told me that by putting different wheels on my 26'er than those that originally came with it would be modifying it and would void the warranty.

IMO Weber is skirting the line here, proving the customer guilty prematurely and risking exposure to The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

In a practical sense, the Act probably might not apply here. On the other hand, performing a wheel swap --- ESPECIALLY with their own compatible part! --- can't conceivably harm anything else with the grill, and that's what makes their policy utter bullshit.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 08:28:18 AM »
that's what makes their policy utter bullshit.
I love my red kettles but I do NOT like many of Weber's polices.  As I resident of the US, why can't I buy an Ivory kettle and Pizza Oven?  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)