Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Kind Of Grates Should I Buy for Weber 22 Kettle?  (Read 5688 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: What Kind Of Grates Should I Buy for Weber 22 Kettle?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 09:34:52 AM »
Ok, I bought the Weber gourmet grate.  Do I need to season it, and if so how? Thanks!

For your first couple cooks, lightly oil the grates before putting on your food. I like to use grapeseed oil, as it has a higher smoke point.

After that, oil your food instead :)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: What Kind Of Grates Should I Buy for Weber 22 Kettle?
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »
It's plated nickel steel like the standard grate is, so no, there's no need to season it.

Either keep it cleaned as best you can, or cook frequently on it and retain a full time layer of grease and oils. :)

I've also become a fan of scraping it off using a wad of foil held by tongs. Just the big chunks or food bits. I've deposited way too many wire bristles from brushes over the years. Tried the pumice-like bars made for grate cleaning and they do the same thing, not that you asked.

The center section is of course small enough to pop into the dishwasher. (But beware that doing so can really grease up the machine and some nearby dishes.)

I've been using this gadget a lot, specifically to remove the hot center section if necessary or even if it's just too grimy to handle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QY9BJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch