Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New addition to the family  (Read 3298 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
New addition to the family
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:44:43 PM »
I picked up a DI code (2007) 18.5" OTG with enclosed ash catcher. It was used only once and the guy moved to an apartment complex and can't use it. It was in a garage for years. Has a hinged grate and came with charcoal rails. Plain Jane black. I now have a 2014 (AH code) Green 22.5" and the new kiddo. Since I'm usually cooking for two I think it will be a great addition when doing just a quick grill of steaks or chicken pieces, and I should have a lot more versatility with 2 kettles.

Question: the one touch ash sweep isn't flush with the bowl (maybe 1/8 of an inch gap), making me think there might be a little air leakage when I try to shut it down. Is this something I need to take apart and manually bend down, or as I cook with it it will develop some crust and seal itself?

I'll post pics tomorrow when the light is better.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:49:39 PM by austin87 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New addition to the family
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
I know the 22.5" is more versatile but the 18.5" is my favorite cooking machine. It's "just right" for an amazing amount of tasks for small families or as you say, as a utility player.

There could be crusty ash/grease "pushing" up the blades and making them ride above the slots. You might try really scraping the very bottom with a razor blade to see if that's the case. The One Touch can be removed/taken apart if you need to bend them down.

I'd be curious to learn if you are able to improve the seal. My dad's kettle seals well top and bottom. With everything shut down it gets cool as a cucumber in no more than 30 mins! None of mine will do that, they always stay warm or even hot at the lid and they have more gunk built up around the lid edge, which is supposed to seal it better.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »
I'd take it apart if it seems not too rusty or crusty.......just keep them in the order they come apart as they are very slightly different......if not too grubby, you'll see the #'s 1,2 & 3 stamped on the side....

Here's my standard "What you might do with an 18.5" thread.......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-don't-really-need-all-those-kettles-just-one-18-12'-5/msg7900/#msg7900

They're great for extra area & different heats, getting sides done along with the main deal instead of waiting until afterwards to finish cooking....or keeping things warm when you do want to cook that way......... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
Anyone know how to get these off?

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 08:43:44 PM »
The blades appear to be placed down in the right order, and since the grill was only used once I don't think any crud could have pushed up the sweeps. This thing is immaculate and so clean, it's a little weird the sweeps aren't flush. A quick removal, slight bend, and reassembly should tighten them up once I figure out how to remove them.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 08:44:10 PM »
Never done it myself, but recall reading in a YouTube comment (of all places) from someone at Weber that you take pliers and pinch the two tabs together. This relates tension or pressure on the lever which then slides out. After that, the blades can be lifted up and out.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 08:44:55 PM »
Twist the handle. There's a little nub that locks into that washer and holds it all together.
If you can't twist it, insert a flat head screwdriver to get some leverage.

Once it's apart, you can bend the blades down gently.
 Might as well razor scrape the bowl around the vents while you're at it.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 03:48:17 AM »
I'd check the order of blades again. They may be 3,2,1 instead of 1,2,3. I ran into this the other day when I was transfering blades to another kettle. The tip on one blade was off the bowl. Maybe a quarter  inch. A quick inspection later I found that the blades were constructed differently to compensate for their position on the stack. Lesson learned...
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 04:57:20 AM »
You will love the 18"!

I'm with everyone on checking the order of the blades.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 06:09:26 AM »
I have my 18 out all the time since I got it. Either to grill on or more often to use as a stand for my chimney. Having it beside my main cooker/s eliminates me walking far with a lit chimney....and that is more safe.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 11:07:51 AM »
I was able to remove them and the order was correct, so I bent them back into shape and they seem really tight now, success! Will post shortly on some cooks!

Here are a couple photos:

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 12:27:45 PM »
Just fired a 3rd kettle, an 18.5" for taters & later squashes.....ribs on the first two....

They're a great addition & that's a sharp one with the cannister !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »
She's a beauty!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC