Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: painting outside of kettle damaged areas tips  (Read 11030 times)

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
Re: painting outside of kettle damaged areas tips
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 08:29:34 PM »
Nail polish? I hit a couple of dings/chips with some nail polish on a kettle I gave away about 6 years ago. It was Black and looked pretty good (on the kettle haha) but have no idea how it held up long term? Lots of colors available, but might wanna have your wife/girlfriend, etc. buy it for you 👍

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 09:30:57 PM »
Try “Rust-Oleum” 2000 degrees. I used it on my Char Griller and worked very well. You can find it in the Automotive section at Home Depot. It also depends on what color you’re looking for…

Its a freakin' kettle!  I just paint the spots to keep them for rusting.

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "

I would suppose it's just like anything else.....some folks are going to go to great lengths to get it just right & others will be simple, straightforward, quick & practical.......guaranteed, around here, there will be everything in between also...... 8)

Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 02:30:39 AM »
Qreps, while painting might look worse than rust, paint won't cause a hole. A dull finish will help it not stand out so bad.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 07:41:03 AM »
I did not do any special prep other than having a clean surface.
Sprayed some paint into a plastic container, then applied it with a foam brush.  I did not apply any to the lid, only the bowl.

I suppose I could have looked for paint with a higher temperature rating.  I used this stuff.

The transformation … Looked like new.

Some of the bowl now looks like this.

My main reason for using the paint was to cover up some JB Weld that was used to fill some small holes.  I then got carried-away.

It doesn't bother me … It's a great cooker.  Probably use it the most of all my kettles.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 08:21:54 AM »
Nail polish? I hit a couple of dings/chips with some nail polish on a kettle I gave away about 6 years ago. It was Black and looked pretty good (on the kettle haha) but have no idea how it held up long term? Lots of colors available, but might wanna have your wife/girlfriend, etc. buy it for you 👍

Yeah, the wife's still pissed about when i stole her high-heat nail polish........ :o 8)
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 08:34:15 AM »
@ Mrbill.  I have the same "work-bench"!! I use my Recycle bin as a work surface for many projects..
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 02:49:15 PM »
Thanks for the helpful advice

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 05:08:09 PM »
@ Mrbill.  I have the same "work-bench"!! I use my Recycle bin as a work surface for many projects..

whatever works ;)
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Craig

• WKC Mod
painting outside of kettle damaged areas tips
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 06:52:42 AM »
I find that if a "cooker" is to be painted, the lid holds up fine but the bowl touch ups will most likely discolor (to 1buckies point) or cook away. Handles (bowl or lid) can be painted with little issues. My 26 lid handle is painted Ace Terra Cotta to match the lighter part of the Copper Mist and it's a regular cooker and looks just as good as the day it was painted. My yellow has some touch up spots on the lid and around the handle with some VHT high heat as the primer and 500 degree high heat yellow. So far, so good with a slight discoloration. It's been cooked on about 4-5 times since repairing last fall. I left the bowl alone (other than a deep clean)

Before

After

Heating up

Difference up close (this is heated) when cold it's a perfect match.

I left the bowl "as is" glowing orange here (picture doesn't do justice to the orange glow)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:56:10 AM by Craig »

Craig

• WKC Mod
painting outside of kettle damaged areas tips
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 06:54:17 AM »
I have a '79 red 22 that is touched up and the lid paint has held up but only slightly darkened but the bowl cooked away the touch up over 2 years of having it.