Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tortilla Omelet  (Read 1969 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Tortilla Omelet
« on: March 19, 2015, 01:50:07 AM »
I like Tortilla Omelets because you can load them up with large amount of filling. The tortillas give the omelet structure and very nice texture. You also don’t have to serve bread with it, since it’s already built into the omelet :)

Here are the ingredients for the filling: Diced potatoes, onions, mixed peepers and Ham

Started cooking the filling first on the Disc

Poured half of the egg mixture, which was made up of 6 eggs and a splash of milk and S&P. And started to incorporate one tortilla at a time

Added two additional tortillas and the remaining of the egg mixture on top.

The tortillas have to be full immersed in the egg mixture so they can fuse completely.

Then topped with the filling

Folded the omelet over the filling

Folded it on it’s side to shape it and topped it with shredded cheese

And the cooking is done. Added salsa on top

This is a giant omelet :)

The egg mixture by itself would not have been able to support that weight. And you really can’t tell just by looking at it that there are tortillas inside.
Here is a section of it

And it was very tasty :)
I do make individual omelets using one tortilla per omelet and the options for filling are endless!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Tortilla Omelet
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 02:31:38 AM »
I gotta try that with our corn tortilla preference here, looks great!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:11:34 AM »
Not the same thing, but for this morning's 2-egg omelette I tossed in one corn tortilla to see what would happen. Thanks for the inspiration!

tortilla buried in eggs (8" Lodge pan, 5SK):

after the flip, with chopped Peppadew, chopped leftover rosemary chicken breast and cheddar:

drops of Texas Pete and sour cream on top:

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:47:26 PM »
That looks awesome Addicted-to-smoke!!
It's perfectly cooked :)
How did you like it?

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »
That's some good looking egg cooks there!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 03:11:04 PM »
That looks awesome Addicted-to-smoke!!
It's perfectly cooked :)
How did you like it?

It was interesting ... I often do a 2-egg omelette each morning, in that skillet, mixing up ingredients. Doing the flip isn't as reliable as I'd like or that a lighter, higher-walled skillet would accomplish, sometimes I lose some egg in the sink because the wrist doesn't move heavy CI as well ... if I wait a little longer to help ensure the flip goes well, sometimes the first side gets overcooked.

Anyway, the flip for this (and cook) was pretty much perfect. Maybe the corn tortilla helped. Folding it in half took a little more effort. As for the taste/ texture it's not a classic omelette but was still OK.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 03:23:34 PM »
I agree, flipping and handling this omelet is much easier due to the structure the tortilla provides. As far as taste and texture, try using flour tortilla next time. I think you’d like it better than corn. I prefer corn tortilla also with Mexican food, but for this application flour works better. Flour tortilla has much smoother texture and it tends to milt into the omelet. Give it a try just for experimentation sake :)

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 04:19:47 PM »
It looks great.
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 06:33:57 PM »
OooohAaaah that looks really good! Added to the list :)
WTB: Genesis Jr.