Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: anybody ever make a internal ash pan ?  (Read 3159 times)

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
anybody ever make a internal ash pan ?
« on: March 16, 2015, 07:24:41 AM »
has anyone here fab`ed one any ideas ?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: anybody ever make a internal ash pan ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 08:32:39 AM »
I'm still unsure how the Happy Cooker's works. It's a suspended pan, right? Air comes in underneath the edges?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:48:45 AM »
Yup, the happy cooker one is a suspended pan.  It sits on the same tabs and directly under the charcoal grate.  The air comes around the pan, and through holes around the upper edge of the pan. 

-Keith

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »
The Happy Cooker/Sears Economy Kettle ash pan gives you more control on Low n' Slow kettle cooking. I've got 2 in decent condition.

I would think you could take an ECB charcoal tray and drill holes around the perimeter and have it fit an 18" kettle or new SJP.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:48:47 PM »
But do the coals not snuff themselves out more with this design? They've got nowhere to fall through.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 07:02:12 PM »
This thing works famously! Close the daisies and the lid vent, they will snuff out and just use the disc to empty out the ashes. Vintage twist pan stays clean. Incidentally these work with the old daisy 26ers too. Although in a 26, it rests at the bottom of the bowl, theres still room for the air to get to the daisy vents.

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:39:55 PM »
I have a buddy that had one (I think) that had Kenmore? on the handle..... It was quite a few years ago that I saw it and thought it was interesting. Wish I would have paid more attention to how it worked. Can you still get higher temps like a Weber Silver/Gold from them with a full chimney and the different air flow design? Based on what I remember seeing, it appeared like the air flow/temp control would be pretty good with a low cook, as mentioned, if the air flow areas were not obstructed. Just cant remember exactly how it was set up....

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 12:26:48 AM »
But do the coals not snuff themselves out more with this design? They've got nowhere to fall through.

It sits below the charcoal grate
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 02:28:01 AM »
There is no one in this group that could fab one of those?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 02:58:25 AM »

It sits below the charcoal grate

Oh duh! For some reason I was thinking it served double-duty as the charcoal holder. Makes perfect sense now.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »
The HC internal pans are AWESOME for those of us that like to cook on three wheelers every now and then.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »

The HC internal pans are AWESOME for those of us that like to cook on three wheelers every now and then.

Amen!

As an avid three wheeler user the internal pans are like gold!