Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Flat Top 26 Value  (Read 3794 times)

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
Flat Top 26 Value
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:45:06 PM »
I'd like to own a 26er. In my searches I found a flat top that appears to be late 80's or so. It's got some dents, chips, rust, etc., but overall is in good shape. It's listed on CL for $150. Is that reasonable for a not exactly vintage yet not new 26? And is there something magical about the flat tops that I'd be an idiot not to get it?
Growing family = growing kettles!

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
Flat Top 26 Value
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:07:52 PM »
Best of luck, be looking for you.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:21:32 PM by Fishawn »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Flat Top 26 Value
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:55:38 AM »
Late '60s through early '90s are flat top, so it's hard to say their value is guided by that unless someone just really prefers that lid. Most collectors are gonna collect more than one style, yes?

http://weberkettleclub.com/gallery/26-weber-grill-gallery/

And welcome! Add your location or region to your profile and/or add a note to your sig for what you want. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/profile/

$150 for good condition isn't a bad deal at all in my opinion and I've seen a few listed for around that price. Just be sure you aren't also buying grates, vent assemblies or other if money is an issue or it might balloon to over $200 total.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 04:03:53 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts! Here's the CL post in question: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/app/4932060057.html
I can't make out the date code, but it looks like a single letter.
The gentleman is going to give me a call today and we're going to talk business!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 06:18:37 AM »
I just think the flat tops look really cool.  I don't imagine they cook any different than the newer 26s. 

And yes, be sure that the grill is complete, as it's really hard-- and expensive-- to get parts for older 26s. 
One of the charcoal people.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 06:20:46 AM »
Looks pretty sweet!!! Especially with a new grate.... I say go get her
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 06:22:16 AM »
Get it.  You'll love it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 06:30:18 AM »
a new 26 is $299, but has better features (bigger grate, very high quality grate, grate sits closer to rim, bigger vent holes, enclosed ash catcher)

If those features aren't important, and you don't want to spend 300, the 150 deal is good :)

26" grills are hard to come by. There are people that have been trying to find one for years.
With you being in the midwest, your odds are better than most everyone here.
I wouldn't pay 150 unless it were newer or colored, but the price isn't out of line.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:58:14 AM »
These are all great thoughts, and basically my thinking too. I'm not really a grill collector yet, so I'm essentially just looking to upgrade from the 18.5 we've had since we got married, and the 26 seems like the way to go for as much grilling as we do. Don't get wrong if not for a budget, we'd have a whole garage full of kettles. So I guess I'll take a look and if she's in good shape and doesn't need anything replaced I'll pull the trigger!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 09:42:43 AM »
Value could depend on color and condition more so than lid style. For a newer 2008-present, $150 is a steal!

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
I laid hands on the Flat Top today . . . but didn't bring it home. It's a code J with nice spin marks and good handles. A new ash tray, cover, and cooking grate. However, the rust at the weld spots and a few good sized dents had me worried. I want to cook on this thing for 30 years, so if I'm buying it used it needs to be great shape. I'm not looking as a collector, but a guy who needs (okay, wants) a bigger kettle. Thanks for all the help guys!

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 05:41:28 PM »
Keep looking IMO..... Check CL as much as you can and let your friends know what you're after. I've seen 3-4 newer 26.75's on CL within about 80 miles of me in the past year.  From $100 to $250.  I lucked out and found an almost new, used 2x 26.75 within 5 minutes of it being listed. Called the guy & he asked if it was even on CL yet? Lol..... he was asking $99 & was 8 minutes from my house. Told him I was on my way and had it in the Accord within 15 minutes. Tipped him $1. Best CL deal ever for me, I was really lucky & feel very fortunate. I probably search CL 8-10 times a day, probably more on weekends. Keep looking 👍

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 07:48:11 PM »
I laid hands on the Flat Top today . . . but didn't bring it home. It's a code J with nice spin marks and good handles. A new ash tray, cover, and cooking grate. However, the rust at the weld spots and a few good sized dents had me worried. I want to cook on this thing for 30 years, so if I'm buying it used it needs to be great shape. I'm not looking as a collector, but a guy who needs (okay, wants) a bigger kettle. Thanks for all the help guys!

@Saugust  .....

This one's about 54 years old & I'm SURE it has at least another 30 years left.....a few dents & dings, but still cooks like a champ.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"