Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chuck Roast Burnt Ends  (Read 1622 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Chuck Roast Burnt Ends
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:03:19 AM »
Has anyone here tried making burnt ends from chuck roast on their kettle(s)? Please share your process; injection, rubs, time/temp, etc..

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Chuck Roast Burnt Ends
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:13:46 PM »
Burnt ends, especially when repurposed ... Sounds like @1buckie territory to me.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Chuck Roast Burnt Ends
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 02:57:04 PM »
Usually don't do them with chuck, as the grain is such that if a little overly done, it will fall into strands....

However, if, I think, you maybe keep it juiced up with beef broth or some other liquid spice concoction, then only go to maybe 170 or 175f center internal, you could probably get it to cut to chunks.....
Trying to remember.......think that's about how I did it before.........

Another possibile aspect would be to cook up like above & let it cool, then chill all the way down then chunk....helps with stable chunking by quite a bit....

Then, pan the chunks, a little brown sugar (not too much) some sauce if you're so inclined (again, not too much...want to let the fat & original beef flavor do the work) then smoke up at medium heat for an hour or so.....before the pieces start falling apart.....maintain chunk a-bility.....

Here's tri-tip & brisket ends that i did a day or two days later & they stayed intact......the difference with chuck is the muscle strands are bigger & looser than those two meats so you have to be a little more careful to not overcook.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/bob's-beef-o-rama/msg20382/#msg20382 
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"