Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turning lookers to cookers?  (Read 3458 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Turning lookers to cookers?
« on: March 12, 2015, 05:15:09 AM »
Here's my story guys.  I've been stocking up on a bunch of the portable grills over the last year and I think it's time to purge a bit.  This post is not about me selling.  I'm just looking for opinions.  I'm looking to move in the next year or two and I just need to start emptying out the basement.   I've got too many SJs and need to get rid of some.  For the most part, nothing too interesting.  One that I would like to keep is a New w/o box Crimson SJG which cost me a bit more than I would normally pay, but it came from Canada.  Another that I have is a NIB Jumbo Joe.

So here's my dilemma.  I really don't need all the SJs but I do want to keep one to cook on.  I'm thinking I want to use the Crimson.  It seems so sad sitting on the shelf with nothing to do and I know I wouldn't get out of it what I paid.  Not to mention that I added one of Brian's awesome handles with the metail clips, and I have a set of SJ Craycorts too.  So why not have the coolest SJ on the block?

The other dilemmas is related to my 18" portables.  I've got a new JJ and the Old style JJ NIB.  I don't want to keep both but I've been hesitant to cook on the old JJ because it just looks so damn pretty.  I've also got one of Brian's handles on this too.  I could probably sell this one pretty easily.  However, again I'm thinking why not have the coolest JJ on the block and just bit the bullet, sell the newer JJ and cook on the old deeper JJ.

What do you guys think... Cookers or Lookers?

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Turning lookers to cookers?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 07:02:02 AM »
They're your grills, so I'd say cook on whatever you want.  However, I do see a difference between the two.  The Crimson is a very recently issued grill, and for collectors who wanted a mint one, they could do as you did and acquire one.  I'd barely hesitate firing that up.  However, the JJ is a little different to me, in that it has been unavailable for a number of years, and NIB ones are significantly more of a challenge to acquire.  You could probably preserve the currently irreplaceable state of yours by swapping it with a member for a very good condition old style JJ (and some goodies or cash), and make both of you happy.  You'd have a Jumbo to cook on that didn't have the new toad-like appearance, and somebody else would get to enjoy a rarity while the current stock of unused JJs remained the same.  However, if you have a connection to the one you have, or just really want to break it in, then fire it off and take pics! 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 07:14:22 AM »
Cookers must perform as you expect FIRST and considerations about rarity, attractiveness to future, potential buyers a distant second. You're not gonna say, "Well honey, I know the chicken didn't turn out quite right tonight because I used that grill that'll really be worth something to someone someday." WTF.

Forget about the handles; if they can't be swapped to another machine they're an easy sell if you want the cash.

It can be liberating to let a nice grill, old or new, become dirty with use. But later, you clean them ...

If you appreciate the deeper kettle on the older JJ but don't want to muck it up, sell BOTH JJs, get a standard 18.5" and chop the legs down for portability ... and if you get one with two side handles it'll still be easily transported.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 07:46:43 AM »
Your NIB old style JJ (Outrider) would  make a nice sale, or trade. Those who want a new style JJ can just go buy one, so you may as well keep it and cook on it.
Definitely keep and cook on that sweet crimson SJG!

JM.02...;)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 07:48:53 AM »
This has got me rethinking the old JJ.  Might hold onto that one in it's current state for a while but I'm pretty sure I'll fire up the crimson SJ Gold.  I do have two other 18s (70/71 black and my new Blue Bud Light) so I could probably survive just fine without a portable 18.  Thank for the input everyone.  I'll post pics of the Crimson sometime when I get around to using it.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 09:08:10 AM »
This is only a guess, but I'm guessing new (2015) SJs will have the Euro-style lid handle with a heat shield.  Haven't seen any to be certain.
So, that Crimson SJG will be nice to hang on to with the welded lid handle.

What is the vent code on your Outrider?  Did it originally come with a wood handle and you replaced it with a sweet zavandle?
For looks, I prefer the older JJs as compared to the "toad-like appearance" of the newer ones. Sorry, @jkolantern , I had to borrow that term because I liked it. :D

Ultimately it's your call.  Just don't have any regrets later on ….  :o :'( ;) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »
If you appreciate the deeper kettle on the older JJ but don't want to muck it up, sell BOTH JJs, get a standard 18.5" and chop the legs down for portability ... and if you get one with two side handles it'll still be easily transported.

I'm looking at getting a Jumbo Joe - is there much or any difference vs a regular 18.5" except shorter and the tick'n'carry lid holder?

Rsmims

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »
When you figure all this out and get ready to "cull" your assortment, let me know. I'll buy some.
I don't see colors, I just see kettles....And I want them all !!!
I like Pig Butts and I cannot lie.
I've seen the wild horses,   I've heard the bullroarers.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »

I'm looking at getting a Jumbo Joe - is there much or any difference vs a regular 18.5" except shorter and the tick'n'carry lid holder?

I think that the grates are a slightly different size, but I am not sure.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »

I did a side by side comparsion a few months back.  Here's the link: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/comparing-old-vs-new-jumbo-joe/msg124765/#msg124765

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
When you figure all this out and get ready to "cull" your assortment, let me know. I'll buy some.

If I end up getting rid of anything that would be worth the trouble of shipping, I'll let you know.  Right now I'm mostly consolidating my bigger grills (22" & 18").

Actually exited to be giving a buddy's kid one of my old 18"s.  Hoping to get him hooked on charcoal to see if maybe I can recruit a new WKC member.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 05:57:33 AM »
I'm for utility, cook on your grills people, it's what they were meant to do!

Now maybe if I had a brand new super-rare or super-vintage, maybe not cook on it, but it's a strong maybe.

Feel free to shame if you wish, just my two cents...

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 06:20:16 AM »
I'm for utility, cook on your grills people, it's what they were meant to do!

Now maybe if I had a brand new super-rare or super-vintage, maybe not cook on it, but it's a strong maybe.

Feel free to shame if you wish, just my two cents...

well said.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 07:01:39 AM »
Me myself....I really like to cook. I look while I am cooking but the transformation of food in a Kettle is a bloody wonderful thing. The rare ones get babied when it comes to charcoal setups/cleaning, some live in the house but they are all game to cook.

A NIB item is something special but you are only gonna live so long. Who better to actually open that bugger up and use it for the first time? I mean seriously. How many folks go to the extent WE do? I have 16 and looking for 17....some have a lot more than me. What are there maybe a few thousand folks like us in the world tops??? So who better than one of us to open, use and care for something like that? Holding onto something your whole life...caring for it but never using it or opening it....then you die. What happens to it? Quite possibly something that would make you turn in your grave. I use mine, some with more precaution than others and those special old ones have plans for after I am gone.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:11:55 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »
There's nothing wrong with cooking on a "looker" if you so choose. IMO nothing is more fun than cooking on OR seeing a cook on a vintage kettle. The only Achilles heel would be if it were new in the box..... (my '73 red SJ) those just get assembled and displayed  but if they have already been cooked on, to me they are fair game.