Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jerk Chicken (and more to come.)  (Read 1518 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Jerk Chicken (and more to come.)
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:51:20 PM »
Chicken legs quarters - 48¢/lb. I'm buying! Lots. ;) Then I'm in search of recipes. For the first batch (*) I went with the jerk marinate here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/great-jerk-chicken-marinade/

Before:

After:

They came out great! I used one hot jalapeño and the result is that the heat in the final product was all but unnoticeable. The next batch was marinated with a Sriracha marinade and maybe more heat will come in through with that.

(*) Batches - I have found (the last time leg quarters were 48¢/lb.) that 10 lb fits just act setup.bout right on my 26" kettle with the fire brick indirect method. I have also found that a couple fire brick segregating the charcoal as shown in the picture does an amazing job. The heat is surprisingly even across the grate. I thought I would have to rotate the chicken to get it to cook evenly but that was not needed.
kettles, smokers...

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
Re: Jerk Chicken (and more to come.)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »
nice cook,
WOW, 48 cents, I just stocked up at 79 cents and thought I was getting a deal, I put 50 pounds in the freezer 3 weeks ago
best accessory a grillfella can have is a vacuum seal machine
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »
Yup, I'll be putting our Foodsaver to work when these have chilled.

The second batch used a marinade from this recipe: http://umamiholiday.com/2014/05/08/sriracha-garlic-wings/ I went with about 2/3 of the Sriracha because I didn't want it to be too hot for SWMBO or the grandkids. It's came out too hot for the grandkids (but there's the jerk chicken for them) and the heat is good for me and maybe the wife.

For both batches I burned lump with a little apple wood for smoke flavor. I kept all vents wide open and it ran form 375°F to about 400°F. Each batch took about one chimney full of lump.

kettles, smokers...

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 02:19:38 PM »
Looks tasty!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »
That's some good looking chicken!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »
Did a batch of thighs yesterday with an orange-chipotle glaze. (From Weber's New Real Grilling) Turned out great! My wife asked me if the sauce was as hot as it smelled when I was reducing it on the stove. Turns out it was a perfect balance. Not too hot, but hot enough to make the recipe a keeper. Will post the ingredients when I get back to the book - working remote for the week.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:43:52 AM by MartyG »