Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thoughts on the gourmet grill grate  (Read 1153 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Thoughts on the gourmet grill grate
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »
Just picked up one from HD without any inserts. Just curious: how do you all think it compares to the standard hinged grate?

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Thoughts on the gourmet grill grate
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:47:43 PM »
I recently received one as a gift, and I REALLLLY like it.

The thickness of the metal is a lot thicker, so it retains more heat and makes nicer grill marks.
I'm assuming it will be more durable as well.

The insert system itself is pretty cool. I only have the griddle, which I've used a few times to fry a few things.
I personally think the sear grate is poorly designed. The spacing is too large for many cuts of meat, so you'll really only get attractive marks on larger cuts. I've seen the marks on larger cuts and they're nice - but with the size of the sear grate, only one large cut will fit on it at once.

I think the actual removable center system itself is useful, even without inserts. The hole in the center is perfect for the performer. Using baskets, I simply remove the center, add a couple fresh briquettes of coshell to each basket, and relight whatever I had leftover. If i want all the heat off to the side, I move the baskets without removing the grate (only removing the center).

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:43:52 PM »
Good input Troy. I bought one with the griddle on sale. Think I paid $35 for the grate and the griddle.haven't used it yet. I think  I'll stay away from the sear grate. It was the next best thing to a cast iron grate is what I was looking at.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:06:09 PM »
I wish I could find an affordable one.  Everyone around here has it with out ANY of the add ons for 35.