Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket Point On The Mini  (Read 3473 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Brisket Point On The Mini
« on: February 22, 2015, 03:25:49 AM »
Picked up a 8 pound Angus brisket point a couple days ago and get to cook today. I cleaned the hunk of a little fat last night and injected with beef stock before I went to bed. This morning I rubbed the meat with salt, a little garlic salt, pepper and a little Tatonka Dust.

I have the mini in my snow wind block:

I am using Coshell with a little RO lump on top. White oak chunks are wedged outside the charcoal ring. With the meat on the smoker about 20 minutes now temp is 259f down the outermost edge on one side and 230f down the other. Smoke is sweet and thin.

I will update.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
Re: Brisket Point On The Mini
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:45:11 AM »
Looking good
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:45:09 AM »
Really, an 8 lb point?!!  Look forward to the finished pics.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:07:56 AM »
Where do you pick up just a point?  I've called a few butchers where I live but have been unsuccessful.
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 05:09:25 AM »
That is awesome. The meat, the cooker, the snow cave, all of it. Looking forward to the update.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 05:39:57 AM »
That is awesome. The meat, the cooker, the snow cave, all of it. Looking forward to the update.

Winz

I go to a fella who has a butcher shop. He has them cryovac'd and has me in the back room to pick out which one I want. I show him where I want the cut and he does it right there in the plastic. Weighs it up and I usually get a discount on price and he rounds it down to the nearest pound. He doesn't care if I take the flat or point though I usually grab the point. The guy moves a lot of product plus makes bacon out of brisket. He is Halal so there is no pig in the house.

If I were you I'd look for a private butcher. Not in a supermarket or big box store.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 06:41:22 AM »
Oh boy, can't wait to see the finished results!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 07:06:27 AM »
Where do you pick up just a point?  I've called a few butchers where I live but have been unsuccessful.

Real hard to find just that by itself.......never hardly ever seen anyone say they found point only....

This is point & flat separated at the fat line.....it's at about a 30 degree angle looking at the side of the whole piece........

Hoss's might have some flat on the bottom, or maybe that's just another part of it w/ fat along the side.....

Best guess is that it gets used for high dollar burger grind & chopped brisket at restaurants.....
the flats are what's usually used for pre-package corned beef, but I've seen point cut packages of corned in the last couple years for some reason.....?

I'll sometimes cut off the flat & use the point as stand alone....then the flat can be cured for pastrami.....
point tucked up next to a tri-tip...

Looking forward to how this cookup shakes out.....the Intrepid Snow Cooker is at it again !!!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 07:37:36 AM »
@1buckie - There is a flat section on this hunk of meat. Fella tosses a straight cut in it whenever I go see him.

Grabbed a pack of Hot Italian Johnsonville's yesterday to have as a snack during this cook. Instead of lifting the lid on the mini I set a Blue OTG up for smoking then after an hour and a half or so moved my firebricks a bit and added more coals to grill them some:

Fried up some onions and red peppers:

Topped with some applewood smoked bacon mustard, the onion/pepper combo and a garlic sea salt blend I made up:

The brisket is coming along nicely. I started with the fat cap down but switched it after about 2.5 hours. The fat cap is crisping up some and I will be foiling in about an hour.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 08:01:32 AM »
WHAT ?

You didn't fry up the peppers & onions on the 18" OTG?

If i was in that much snow, I'd just stay out there & get used to it !!!!!

Nice lookin' dawg !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »
If i was in that much snow, I'd just stay out there & get used to it !!!!!

You know by now … That's what we are pretty much forced to do … by choice, of course.  8) ;D ;) ;)

Nice looking snack, Hoss!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 09:49:50 AM »
After a little over 6 hours I decided to foil:

After I got the sucker foiled I inserted a probe in so I can tell when it is getting done. It read 169f.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
If I start running now, do you think I could make it there in time for dinner?? ;) ;D

Looking REALLY good Hoss
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
Looks awesome Hoss!!!
I admire you dedication to BBQ. Cooking in those conditions is no easy task and you do it so well every time.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 02:01:42 PM »
@MrHoss Can I slap this up as a blog post once you've got your plated pic's up?

Killer set-up and some great looking brisket man.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E