Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thanks to fellow grillfela, now I need some restore advice  (Read 1411 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Thanks to fellow grillfela, now I need some restore advice
« on: February 17, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
So a while back I put out some feelers for a set of dark grey handles for a beat up old faded red that I've got. Well jcnaz came through on trade (thanks again jcnaz, your stuff got in the mail today).
I got my handles today, and went right to getting them on

I like the grey on red look
So here is where I'm in need of some advice.
Like I said it's kind of a beater: lots of chips and scratches, haven't got an ash sweep for it yet, no grate (borrowed one from the wsm), and worst yet, a rusted out leg socket.
What's the fix for this? Checked through the restoration guides, but couldn't find much. The previous owner attached it back with nuts and bolts, but now it's all rusted through (see attached pics)

Even with all it's problems this grill is slowly making it's way into my heart, and I want to get up and running again in all it's former glory R-R-R
Thanks again jcnaz, and for all who read all this, and any advice, Justin 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Thanks to fellow grillfela, now I need some restore advice
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »
Most likely fix would be to do approximately what was already done, but with wide washers on the inside.....

Hoping this is a 3-wheeler as the washers might get in the way of a One Touch.....that washer thing does fix things up tight, though....

I'll see if I can find pics.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:03:38 PM »
They do look nice on that redhead!  l hope that the socket fix goes well.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »
Thanks buckie for the links. I know the greys aren't original, but I like the look. I've got a set of 2nd run wood handles from Brian that might go on my other red, and then the rougher wood handles I've got might find their way back on this one.

Once I get to restoring this one I'll post up pics. Just wanted to say how much I appreciate this site and community. From the advice, pictures, and members willing to come through. Thanks to all.
jcnaz, hope you like the sauces!