Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: EXPERIMENT VOLUNTEER(S) NEEDED (GAS ASSIST PERFORMER REQUIRED)  (Read 3228 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
EXPERIMENT VOLUNTEER(S) NEEDED (GAS ASSIST PERFORMER REQUIRED)
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:56:22 AM »
Whats the best way to light charcoal ;)
I know its been discussed up and down but it still gets a ton of posts and different responses.

I've read many posts debating the pros and cons of the Gas Assist vs other lighting methods.

It appears that there are several of us who have non GA Kettles and are debating upgrading and it would be great to see evidence weather the upgrade is truly worthwhile.

It would be great to do an experiment on video that lights several Chimneys:all at one location at one time using standard Weber chimneys all lighting coal from the same batch. This would limit the variables (fuel type, weather etc.)

Ideally each method would be timed on video using all the common methods head to head:

- Gas Assist Performer

-Propane/MAPP hand torch

- Starter Cube(s)

- Newspaper

- Oiled Paper Towels

- Other

This might be an interesting activity for a Meet Up, or if someone is lighting multiple chimneys for an upcoming big cook and has access to multiple materials above.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: EXPERIMENT VOLUNTEER(S) NEEDED (GAS ASSIST PERFORMER REQUIRED)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:25:24 AM »
Just some thoughts from my own experience, and things I've seen.  I think overall you'll see the Propane/MAPP hand torch as the fastest.  It just produces so much heat, nothing else is going to compare.   Starter Cubes, Newspaper, oiled paper towels (you can oil the newspapers as well) are probably going to be around the same time.   Not that I have or have ever used as GA Performer, but my guess is that it would fall in the middle of the MAPP hand torch, and the starter cubes.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 07:28:50 AM »
I always wanted to know if more than 1 starter cube made a difference.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »
I always wanted to know if more than 1 starter cube made a difference.

Tim, i thought about that too. With enough participants that is totally doable as well:

Even without the other options. That experiment is easy and can be done with two equally loaded chimneys side by side.

Light one with one cube
Light one with two cubes

See how fast each one lights. I would love to know what the time difference is and if the two cube method is worth it. I've aslo seen people who break cubes up and spread the smaller chunks out a bit to get heat on more charcoal at once. 

Does four half cubes light faster then two full? That's another experiment that could be done with two chimneys at once too.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:19:01 AM »
I have a Performer with gas assist and have not used that option for a long time

I find it very inconvenient as far of location of the grill. I have my grill on the patio and it gets full of smoke when I start the chimney there. Secondly, you can not use it once you start cooking and you need to add additional lit charcoal, so you still need another option. For those reason I moved away from it.

I mainly use this gas burner, which I bought for $20 and already had several gas tanks.

I do use the cubes for smaller batches and love them. I use two of them under the chimney and they are a little slower, but work well, and especially if you’re adding additional fuel.

There is also this option if you don’t have a large gas tank. This uses those disposable small tanks like the newer Performers

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 05:34:05 PM »
My first kettle was a plain Jane black OTS. I bought a Weber charcoal starter (never had 1 before) and used newspaper to light it. I hated the paper ashes flying all over the place, drifting back into my garage, on the sidewalk, garage apron etc. Let alone the fire hazzard it could cause in a real dry area.

So I used a wad of paper towels with some vegetable oil wadded up and that helped a lot, but it still was a pain grabbing the paper towels and dousing them with oil.

Then I found the Weber Starter Cubes. Man these things work great. If I was in a hurry to cook I would put 2 under the chimney as it would be ready faster. If I was just relaxing with a beer or 3, 1 did the trick just fine.

I always wanted a gas assist Performer but I couldn't justify the cost of a brand new one. I finally found a used one on Craigslist for a descent price, and I love the gas assist.

The only thing bad I see about the gas assist, it is starting to take a toll on my charcoal grate. I noticed the grate is starting to bend from the high heat. A Weber starter cube wouldn't do this.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 06:05:36 PM »
Dayum!

This has been debated more than what type of lump an Egghead must use in their new BGE!

The choice is clear! The Harbor Freight Weed Torch (with Piezo starter) is the ONLY way to start your fires!

And when Jim Minion uses said torch-he calls it lighting his cooker!

just sayin'!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 06:40:23 PM »
I have several GA performers but don't use the assist much.  It's not hardcore enough for me.  I'm not a fan of how the flame comes out split and to the side. If it were a single flame straight up that would be better IMO. I think the tube was designed first to keep ash from blocking the ports and second to light charcoal baskets. 

I'd be more than happy to do the scientific experiment this weekend. I have a GA, starter cubes, and several full size weber chimneys. 

Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:43:14 PM »
Dayum!

This has been debated more than what type of lump an Egghead must use in their new BGE!

The choice is clear! The Harbor Freight Weed Torch (with Piezo starter) is the ONLY way to start your fires!

And when Jim Minion uses said torch-he calls it lighting his cooker!

just sayin'!

Well, wasn't gonna go there, but since Swamp broke the dam.....

Not to be kickin' a dead dawg as this pic's been seen before....198 Proof works fairly well....... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"