Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Getting More from Charcoal Baskets  (Read 2493 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Getting More from Charcoal Baskets
« on: February 06, 2015, 03:39:31 PM »
I like using  the baskets for fast cooks that don't need any extra coals. I have not always had good luck with adding more briquettes to the baskets and maintaining temperatures. I use a chimney to light my charcoal  even when I am going to use baskets.A while back I saw a thread about taking a pair of baskets apart and using the vented portions like charcoal rails. In fact I think it works better than rails on the heat-warped coal grate of my SS Performer. I can use one on either side to split the heat or two together to set up a large hot zone.

I have not personally  had any issues with heat blowouts in my all black kettle family. When I saw this thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=14748.0  I thought about the other unused portion of the baskets. So it was time to experiment!

With a snake:

With a fire brick:

Set up as a really  big basket:

It looks like this will definitely keep the charcoal off of the side of the kettle. It will bring the fire closer to the middle of the kettle, shrinking the indirect  area, but not by much.
These are just theoretical  layouts.  Next cook I will use one and report back!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:58:50 AM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Getting More from Charcoal Baskets
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:07:52 PM »
Looking good, when I first saw the set up with the ring all around I thought you were going to use it to build a fuse around the outside of the perimeter given that you're not opposed to banking against the side. Like some have used the charcoal ring from the wsm.
Maybe another idea of how you could use it...
After reading that I'm not sure it's make any sense, but I applaud your ingenuity

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 05:40:21 AM »
I have recently used the really big basket set up you are showing above in an attempt to provide more fuel for a longer cook on my first cook using my pitmaster iq. The one thing I learned with This set up is that you can get a lot of your fuel lit at once if you get too much air so I would be really conservative with your vents while you're dialing it in.

I also think it's a good way to protect the kettle bowl when you are doing bank and smoke style set ups.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:54:18 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 07:56:23 AM »
great way to experiment with using those baskets

I really like the way you use them to protect the sides of the kettle
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
No pics due to darkness, but last night I used the "really big basket" arrangement while cooking a chicken on my rotisserie. It worked very well, definitely a good option if you are concerned about banking coals.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »
Some good ideas here. Gonna have to try out some of your setups in the near future. Thanks.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"