Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sometimes you just feel like you are stealing.......  (Read 10132 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Sometimes you just feel like you are stealing.......
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 04:50:41 PM »

I have a place I've shopped for years that has a full line of Weber stuff....spread across two buildings & some real high end stuff in the second building....no discounts ever, except season's end closeout floor models....

At 1st read, I'm thinking the price was mostly because of it being the floor model....could be as simple as that.....

still, 79.99 is the 18.5 price, no mater what, it was discounted for some reason did it have the baskets and the warming shelf in it?

It came complete.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 02:55:23 AM »
guys guys guys
look at the receipt, it says Weber kettle black 22.5
no silver, no masters touch, no serial number, nothin else
now look at the price, 79.99, that is what 18.5 kettles sell for
22.5 sell for 99.99 plus tax
He got a great deal no mater what you claim, the store either was holding a sale on 22.5 kettles or 22.5 master touches.
OK so he decides not to chance it and take the floor sample, (by the way were all the goodies in there?)
and some guys are looking at him strange?
Look at it this way, that same company would sell that thing for 299.99 if they could.
GO try and buy a car and see how much you have to shop around to get a good deal. Businesses will tell you they are not in business to lose money, but this is a computerized world and that thing said 79.99 for a 22.5 weber kettle, black.
He bought it.
If you go into a store and they give you back 2 dollars extra change, and you notice it when you get home, do you drive back and give them the 2 dollars?
He scored, not only that he scored on the tax, 4,80 on 80 bucks, that is like 6%, I pay 8.75 out here

His receipt doesn't say Weber at all. Take another look.  @glrasmussen pointed out in his previous post that it should have been this grill in this link: https://shop.alsacehardware.com/inet/storefront/store.php?mode=showproductdetail&product=-1&link_id=-1&link_itemcode=8266827&category=&department=88&class=868&fineline=086802

Check the description and item number. They are perfect matches.

I'm not reposting this because I think he did anything wrong. Just to keep the information posted in this thread accurate.

What if an uniformed buyer would have come across this? Someone that doesn't know anything about these grills. The store would have been out still. I see nothing wrong with this at all. He was at the right place at the right time.

@LightningBoldtz , I'm curious to hear what the store had to say when you told them of the pricing mistake.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 04:57:15 AM »
I actually didn't call them, when I found the information that glrasmussen posted I e-mailed them at the address on the receipt and informed them that the model that they have was incorrect and posted a link to both.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »
nobody's gonna buy that char brol thing with the 299 price tag on it. 

that's for sure. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 09:17:17 AM »
This is such an interesting topic of conversation and I really like the healthy discussion going on. It's such a grey area and I find it difficult to choose a firm stance one way or the other.

First off I have zero issues with LB snagging the grill and do not question his character one bit. He's done lot's for many and deserves a little kickback in the Weber department! This was a in the right place at the right time scenario in my mind...

... That being said, having the knowledge ahead of time that it was mislabelled does tug at the morality heart strings a little bit.

Just to be devils advocate and to keep the conversation going, how/would everyone's opinion change at all in either of the two scenarios below?

1) What if it wasn't a large chain store such as Ace, and instead a small town hardware store where grandma and grandpa have trouble scraping together the monthly rent?

2) What if you were to find out that the grill was labelled by young kid struggling to get by, and that he lost his job because of the mistake?

Once again, congrats on the score Jeff... and don't worry my cousin will find another job eventually. ;) ;D ;) (Kidding!)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »

1) What if it wasn't a large chain store such as Ace, and instead a small town hardware store where grandma and grandpa have trouble scraping together the monthly rent?

2) What if you were to find out that the grill was labelled by young kid struggling to get by, and that he lost his job because of the mistake?

Grill is going back, I just can't deal with the guilt anymore.   HAHA

I love Devils advocate questions.

The grill will not be going back, and I am not really sure how to answer those questions about if it would change.  I know in this case I did talk to the manager of the area, a guy who is quite involved in the sales of Weber grills.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »
I was recently at an Ace hardware store and noticed an item, on the shelf, priced at what I thought was a very good price, so I grabbed it. The item itself was not marked with the lower price only a large sign on the shelf. As I was checking out I noticed the item rang up at a much higher price. I mentioned to the clerk that the item rang up incorrectly. The clerk went to the shelf, saw the item was the correct item, and clearly advertised at a lower price. She came back and told me that it was a mistake but gave it to me at the lower price anyway because it was their policy. I gladly took the lower price and never thought twice about it.  I was happy about it until I read this thread.
Now after reading this thread, I’m thinking did I do something immoral? Should I have said no I will pay the higher price for knowing it was a mistake?
May The Smoke Be With You!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 10:28:32 AM »
@SixZeroFour   both of the ace hardware stores i shop at are family owned.  i doubt they'd qualify as a large chain store like HD or Loews in that case. 

three generations of zimmermans work at the nearest store to my house.  grandpa works there, his name is jim.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 10:47:59 AM »
Big company or small company aside.  Here is the scenario, the label on the grill was the same as I showed on the receipt  Black Kettle 22" for $79.99.  I called the manager over and asked if I could have that grill for that price, he said certainly and helped me wheel it to the register.
It is not say GrillMark Black Kettle it was not that descriptive.  Did I know it was a steal of a price, uh yeah.  Now the question is, did I do anything underhanded to get that price?  I did not switch labels, I didn't do anything to deceive or misrepresent as I purchased the product.  I did not know why they had it for that price when I purchased it.

When I did find the actual grill I did make it a point to inform the store so they could correct their error. 

Again, I love this discussion, I brought it up understanding that people opinions would vary.  I am a big boy, a moral person and can take a little disagreement.  In fact, I want it, I am the type of person who takes many different  angles of something to try to come up with a conclusion.

JDD - I personally don't think you did anything wrong but you see what I did and it is very similar.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
Mr Botlz
I see you did nothing wrong

oh and they are right it does not say Weber, just black kettle

If you asked, and they said YEA, then you cleared yourself.

As I said you do not know why they are selling it for so little just that they are. Businesses do not do stuff to lose money, sometimes they do things to recover money, I have bought stuff below cost because they wanted to move something to recover money.
Now was it a mistake? has every time you made a mistake someone came up to you and offered to make it right?
What the problem is we do not know if it was a mistake and the manager wheeled it up to the register with you.
Sounds legit to me. Now he may find latter he made a mistake and find a way not to make it again. But are you responsible if you asked the manager if you could have that grill for that amount of money and he agreed? You gave him the opportunity to check it out, the opportunity to review his product and price.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 12:43:59 PM »
For the low prices guys are getting kettles off of Kijiji, craigs list, ebay and estate sales im shocked that this would even come up. People should be happy for Boldtz instead of telling him this or that. And integrity wise getting an old kettle off of a widow or someones children for 10s of dollars knowing its worth 100s is much more of a moral dilemma to me because its hurting the seller on an individual level.

GregS have you never gotten a good deal on a kettle through craigs list or otherwise and handed someone cash for it knowing its worth more?
The man walked into a store and paid the labeled price. Good on you Boldtz I'm happy you got a deal you've done a lot of good for people on this board allowing people to ship items to your house and storing it for them as well as selling your own items to members for a very low price, less than you could get on craigs list and etc.

I'm new here so I'm not trying to ruffle feathers but Boldtz is a solid guy and shouldn't be made to feel bad for getting a good deal on a kettle.   

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:12:45 PM by AcrossFromHoss »
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 12:58:49 PM »
Let's not forget the Mothership that @LightningBoldtz donated to his church.  That deserves a lifetime of Kettle Karma.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 01:02:47 PM »
GregS has his opinion on the situation, it is different than mine and I am good with that.  I want this to be a healthy discussion, I don't want this to turn sour because people might not agree with what I did.  We are all different in different ways and have differing opinions for many circumstances.
GregS and I talked on the side and we are perfectly fine.

Good discussion, let's continue to keep it on the positive.  :)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 01:03:48 PM »
Let's not forget the Mothership that @LightningBoldtz donated to his church.  That deserves a lifetime of Kettle Karma.

That is funny, out of all the things that I thought I would get flack for from the group that was it.  You donated what to where?

HAHA

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 04:58:32 PM »
Personally if there is something I want to purchase I tend to shop around research and find the best deal I can get.  Wouldn't do anything I consider underhanded like switch price tags or anything like that but if I go in a store and see something priced much lower than expected I tend to do the same thing you did.  I will usually find a manager and ask if the price is correct, if they tell me it is then I'm buying.  If they say no that's not right (and it has happened) I don't argue I just move on.  I have told managers that is a steal before as I was checking out but never insisted they were wrong and needed to charge me more.