Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: If you had to pick one gas assist performer or WSM  (Read 5157 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
If you had to pick one gas assist performer or WSM
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »
Most of my quick "grilling" is done on the genesis and I mainly use my One Touch Platinum for slow and low and indirect (chicken, ribs, butts, and 1 thanksgiving turkey). I've been wanting to sell the OTP and  upgrade to a gas assist performer or a WSM.

If you had to pick one would you go WSM or a performer.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: If you had to pick one gas assist performer or WSM
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:08:23 PM »
You have asked the wrong people. They will tell you have one of each.

I do a decent amount of hot and fast on my genesis, but I also do some on my OTG, personally really like doing pork tenderloin with applewood very hot indirectly then reverse sear it over the coals. I will have a WSM in the next couple of months. House warming gift to myself. Hoping I can get one on clearance.

If I had to choose one though, it would be the performer. You can really do everything on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »
@iCARRY we all know that all roads lead to both, don't they.

1 vote for the performer.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »
Yup, WSM is fantastic if you smoke a lot, but the performer is a better all round cooker IMO. Neither is a bad choice :)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:40:48 PM »
No doubt the performer, I'll sell my WSM that I almost never use, tomorrow.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 06:50:56 PM »
Get a performer first for sure! It's a work horse. I have both (like most people here) and the performer has always been my go to. I do use my WSM for ribs and butts mostly, but you can do all that on a performer. You can always get a WSM down the road.. :)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:59:51 PM »
Gas assist Performer is my choice too! 

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 12:54:30 AM »
The WSM is a one trick pony.  Get the Performer, it's much more versatile.  Try doing a pizza or a steak on the WSM.  You can smoke on the Performer.  I do pulled pork frequently with mine.  Use a snake or minion method with the charcoal, add some wood chips or chunks and you're good.  I have no problems staying between 250-275 degrees for several hours with these methods.  Learned all that stuff here...

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 02:32:40 AM »
Performer. Heck, get two.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 03:58:16 AM »
Performer

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 04:50:29 AM »
I've got the old Stainless Steel table Weber Touch n Go and pretty much never use the lighter.

Start all my fires with a Harbor Freight weed torch.

Jim Minion once told me he uses the same torch and calls it lighting his cooker.

Get a WSM!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 05:57:41 AM »
Performer...

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 06:36:28 AM »
I'd go with both!

But in all honesty, I think I'd go with the Performer because its more versatile that the Smokey Mountain.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 06:48:02 AM »
I love my WSM, and use it a ton, but I have to mirror everybody else's advice.  If you could only have one, I think it would be performer.  HOWEVER, you should be able to pick up a performer cheap (I've owned 3, all gas assist and never paid more than $25 for any of them) and then bite the bullet and get a WSM new (or luck into one of them used, but there's a LOT less of them on craigs, in my experience.  For my money, gas assist is the way to go as well.  The best part is that you really can't go wrong-they are both awesome.   

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 07:34:55 AM »
I love my WSM, and use it a ton, but I have to mirror everybody else's advice.  If you could only have one, I think it would be performer.  HOWEVER, you should be able to pick up a performer cheap (I've owned 3, all gas assist and never paid more than $25 for any of them) and then bite the bullet and get a WSM new (or luck into one of them used, but there's a LOT less of them on craigs, in my experience.  For my money, gas assist is the way to go as well.  The best part is that you really can't go wrong-they are both awesome.

actually after sleeping on it i am leaning towards getting the WSM at this point and keeping the OTP for now.
 I see GA performers on CL for +/- $100, not constantly but they come up.

WSM's never do so if there is a deal to be had it will be on the performer. Maybe i will keep my OTP (poor mans performer) until i get a performer and then sell it.