Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: breaking in some new toys (4 cooks this week)  (Read 2205 times)

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
breaking in some new toys (4 cooks this week)
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:04:19 PM »
I've been having computer issues so haven't been able to post my last few cook. Now that my issues are behind me I thought I'd share whats been on my kettle this week. I Got a few new toys in the mail and from hoss and was really looking forward to trying these out:
Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography
After seeing peoples Vortex wing cooks I was itching to get my hands on it and fire some up myself so for its christening I loaded it up with 30 split wings in a few different rubs (jerk and two chicken rubs i got recipes for)
 Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography
These were awesome. crispy skin and dripping juices but this was a costly first voyage of the vortex. It's with a heavy heart I say r.i.p to the seasoning of my kettle because this sucker got hot. like off the dial hot, my facial hair got singed off through the top vent haha Needless to say i learned my lesson not to load as much charcoal next time though having crispy wings in 45-h was pretty great. I'm going to get another kettle so I can keep high heat cooks to its own cooker. My gunky tacky lid became a flake fest and i watched 40 or so cooks of flavor fall like snow to the ground.
My 2nd cook on the vortex/new grate system was scotch bonnet rum pineapple jam glazed jerk pork chops with Caribbean spiced veggie kabobs.
Commercial Photography rubbed and left in the fridge for 4 hours.
Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography glaze was just the jam, hot sauce and a splash of spiced rum
Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography added a piece of oak and later pecan.
Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography the veggies rolled over the hot spot to get some char before pulling them.
Commercial Photography
These didn't last long enough to take pictures of the middle sorry. not much of a smoke ring as it was a quick high heat cook though they were plenty smokey along with spicy and sweet. id use less glaze on them next time but they were delicious. Me and the boys pulled them apart using our fingers with ease during the world junior hockey finals along with a few beers to celebrate gold.
My 3rd and best cook were Tatonka dusted strip steaks on the vortex/sear great combo. First cook on the cast iron grate.
Commercial Photography mix of briquets, lump and a few half burnt pieces of oak and pecan.
Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography left: tatonka dust right: tatonka spiked with some montreal steak spice.
Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography finished indirect with a variety of charred bell peppers.
Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography  I picked up a few bean, rice and cheese burritos to eat with the steak and peppers kind of steak fajita style. without a doubt the tatonka dusted strip was the best steak I've cooked. I saw a lot of people using it here and a few other boards and finally know what all the fuss was about. I won't make another steak without it it's that good. Anyway there is my last week. I had a lot of fun playing with my new toys. Still have to get something on that grill mat this weekend maybe spiced blueberry's for a pork loin or some tiny sausage  stuffed mushrooms for with another steak.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:02:51 PM by AcrossFromHoss »
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
Re: breaking in some new toys (3 cooks)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
also from this week Lebanese spiced sausage stuffed mushrooms and peppers with a Lebanese/Montreal steak spiced Steak.
Commercial Photography
The peppers and mushrooms were killer My first time stuffing mushrooms on a kettle to smoke. They were like flavor bombs and will be a staple on my kettle. The steak tasted delicious with the Lebanese spice mixture added to the montreal steak spice. Notes of what im used to from a Shawarma came through I just wish i pulled it sooner it was mid well. 
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

SixZeroFour

Re: breaking in some new toys (4 cooks this week)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »
Sweet new toys AFH! And lol on the triple post ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 10:20:54 PM »
Looks good, AFH! I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Vortex in conjunction with the KettlePizza...
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 10:07:16 AM »
Congrats!!
Those are nice toys :)

And the food looks awesome too :)

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 02:27:35 PM »
Great looking cooks and great to hear your pleased with the Vortex and Tatonka Dust seasoning!

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
Good looking pineapple glaze steaks!

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 05:18:45 AM »
Looks like you're dialed in!
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS