Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Burn through mark..?  (Read 1872 times)

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
Burn through mark..?
« on: December 30, 2014, 05:23:29 AM »
Is this what a burn through mark is? I sound stupid asking (don't agree  ;) ) but i believe it is.
FYI this is not my grill, but i have the same exact mark on mine and it is about 5 years old.

Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Burn through mark..?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 05:29:12 AM »
That is a fallen lid IMO,  I think the burn through spot happens more often on the bowl's than the lids.  You get the most heat where the charcoal lays against the bowl.  @MrHoss makes it a point to never bank charcoal on his kettles, I am not to that point but I do rotate if I am using a smokenator or something like that.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:03:46 AM »
Yeah, that looks like a lid chipped by an accidental drop.
I agree with never banking coals directly against the bowl either.  It seems that where the grate straps are welding inside the bowl, those weld points more often than not pop the paint on the opposite side of the bowl.  It seems more prominent on colored kettles than black ones.  I have a feeling there is an issue with the make-up of the steel behind those weld points and how the paint ultimately adheres to it.  None of my colored bowls have ever popped the paint in these areas, but I'm hoping its because I don't bank the charcoal directly against the bowl.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »
I was thinking maybe this was from a bad grease fire. Though I believe you are right about it being scraped from a fall. My top handle was bent to the side, and the legs were pushing through the bottom of bowl i had to bang them out with a rubber mallet (thanks for the tip on that WKC). Still is a little uneven to this day. I plan on posting pics with some questions and suggestions at some time. I think it fell off this person deck that i bought  it from. Talk about a rescue.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »
I'm taking precautions to not bank the coals against the sides of my Redheads. I've been finding porcelain flakes from my Performer and my 18.5" "G" seems to chip if you look at it wrong!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »
And....I learned something. I never thought/realized that banking directly against the side would potentially cause damage...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker