Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lifespan of Premium Covers?  (Read 4649 times)

unl1mtd

• Smokey Joe
Lifespan of Premium Covers?
« on: December 31, 2014, 04:30:04 AM »
I've add a fifth grill to my collection, huzzah! A 18.5" OTS  that was used once which I snagged for $15. My first real steal of the interwebz. Ok to the point, I want to pick up a cover for it as I leave my grills out 24/7 and I'm unsure if I should keep buying premium covers or not. I'm not sure if there really is another option better than the premium cover.

Presently, I have all of my previous grills covered with premium covers. I had used a standard previously and it last about two years before it self disintegrated in a wind storm.

Two I purchased brand new(1 yr old and 4 yr old) and two were second hand (ages unknown). The newest one, on the OTS is honestly waterproof, never any moisture underneath even right after a rain. The others always except on the hot summer days have moisture underneath when I uncover for a cook. The performer's is the worst, followed closely by the wsm.  This kinda creates the opposite condition of what the cover's intended purpose, as the moisture locks in under the cover. I find myself lifting the covers on sunny days once a week to dry them out.

Essentially the cover becomes more of a sun, leaf, heavy snow, and bump resistant cover; which still has its merits. Will it ever shred and not even live up to these tasks?

I'm wondering what the waterproof life expectancy is of the premium covers?

Anybody out there with similar experiences?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:32:01 AM by unl1mtd »

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
Re: Lifespan of Premium Covers?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:55:40 AM »
As it stands I own two of them and my oldest is 2 years old, matter of fact I was thinking of contacting Weber this weekend about getting it replaced.
It seems to have cracked about a 1/2 inch right on the edges in a few spots. It has held up up pretty good.
I live in the northeast so it sees a share of heat, snow, rain, and wind. I have emailed Weber many times on questions and one time on a warranty issues, they are great and take care of you.
Shopping for grill stuff at big box stores, i dont know of a better quality cover then what I have now. I think what i like most is the weight and the thickness.
They have a 3 year warranty, if you are not happy, contact Weber, maybe the one on the Performer is failing. They will ask for a proof of purchase.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:03:57 AM »
I was told that Weber is working on all new Premium covers with better materials. The current ones are good but not quite "premium" in my opinion.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:04:23 AM »
Two of mine started cracking after a year. Weber promptly sent me two new ones. The new ones have a 3 year warranty and are made of a different material. The have built in bags now.

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:21:08 AM »
The have built in bags now.

Oh ya, i saw that somewhere, thought not in the store. I wouldn't use the bag if i had one, would be worried about cracking it after folding up....though maybe i would use it in the summer and not in the winter.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:36:26 AM »
With all the grills I own i only have four premium covers and 4 of the cheep light grey plastic ones. The plastic ones are only good for covering kettles that are in the garage. The three grills I keep out back at a time all have the premium covers including my brown 26. One of my 22s has a 1984 premium that has held up well for the past 3 years. So far so good.

Sent from my iOS via Tapatalk

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »
the old premium covers were made out of vinyl and would typically weather and crack after 2 or 3 years. The more extreme your climate, the less lifespan you'll get from the cover.

The new premium covers are made with a reinforced polyester. They're more breathable, more durable, and more flexible. They SHOULD last a lot longer - but only time will tell.

The new 2015 Premium covers are currently available on Amazon :) RIGHT HERE

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 07:44:43 AM »
I have the original premium cover that came with my SS performer. Out of all the premium covers I use, that one seems the best. It actually feels more rubbery.

I agree with Craig, those grey ones are only good for the garage and parts of CA.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 07:50:03 AM »
Correct me of I'm wrong but didn't the 70s teach us that polyester doesn't breathe?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 08:07:37 AM »
I'm finding the premium kettle covers are showing their age faster than the gasser covers.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 08:09:53 AM »
Correct me of I'm wrong but didn't the 70s teach us that polyester doesn't breathe?

I only experienced 11 months of the 70s, so I can't really help you out on this one :P

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 09:11:30 AM »

I only experienced 11 months of the 70s, so I can't really help you out on this one :P

I experienced 12 and a half months..... 

But my parents who experienced all of the 1970s have told me that Polyester doesn't breathe and you would sweat bullets in the disco.. (So my Mother told me once.. ) My Dad wouldn't have been caught dead in a disco... He's more the Bob Seger type..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »
I worked in a disco that played Bob Seeger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ended the nite with his tunes often !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 09:25:13 PM »
I got home early today and took done pics of the small cracks I had and was told I had a 2 year warranty on it, that already passed. Though as a courtesy they would send me a new one. Hope it is as 2015. Customer service always amazes me.

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »
I have always viewed the grey covers to be more of dust covers for the garage, etc. The black "premium" covers are much better. I live in Texas and my grills/kettles are under a covered patio, however, they get a BEATING from the sun in the later afternoon/evening times and they have not started to crack yet. One has lived through two summers so far and countless drving rain/wind storms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker