Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bit the Bullet: Weber Original Charcoal Pizza Oven (Weber Part No 6520)  (Read 16429 times)

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
First off many thanks to sixzerofour.  8)

So... I could get the Kettle Pizza Deluxe kit which includes a stone and peel delivered direct from the Kettle Pizza site via FedEx Home Delivery for $197.40. Same kit is $215.04 thru Amazon delivered (I am not Prime). 

However, I am not thrilled with the design: 1) The kettle lid sits atop the Kettle Pizza ring and is therefor too high allowing all the heat to ride up there.  2)  The stone sits on the grate so it is directly heated by the charcoal/wood which can cook the bottom faster that the top.  3) The heat/smoke travels all around the stone not directing heat over the pie to cook the top.

Or... I could get a Weber Original Charcoal Pizza Oven (Weber Part No 6520) from Amazon.de (German) and have it delivered UPS for $235.09.

I like the design much better: 1) The lid is low directing heat over the pie.  2) the stone sits on a ledge making it flush with the oven allowing a peel to easily get under the pie.  3) The stone is protected from direct heat by a "bowl" built into the oven which should allow the top to "catch up" to the heat on the stone.  4) Vents in the rear of the oven direct heat/smoke over the pie under the stone from one place.

To me, it's worth the $20.05 - $37.69 to buy Weber's design (though without a peel). The actual oven cost $170 once the exchange rate is applied which I believe is about $20 more than the price offered in the North and Northwest test markets but... shipping was killer.  This thing is heavy and it went thru three countries to get here. 

The worst part: it costs more than the OTS it sits on (including all OTG modifications I added).  The best part: SWMBO agreed so...

I ordered the 9th, it shipped from Milan Italy on the 11th, went thru Koeln Germany (that's what UPS called the town of Köln I guess = Cologne in English), went thru Louisville and Montgomery, and delivered here to Huntspatch last night. It's raining off and on so it will have to wait until this weekend to cook on it (may sneak a cook in today).

Here are some photos:

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:32:38 PM by bama bbq »

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
Re: Bit the Bullet: Weber Original Charcoal Pizza Oven (Weber Part No 6520)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 06:05:13 AM »
Nice score bama! I ordered mine from Elliot Ace Hardware in Elm Grove Wisconsin. This is a pilot store for Weber and I believe the only place they are sold in the US. They are not always available, and I'm not sure if they can order more when they are out but it's worth a try. Total cost shipped from Wisconsin to California was $212.64.

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
Bit the Bullet: Weber Original Charcoal Pizza Oven (Weber Part No 6520)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 06:23:47 AM »
Nice score bama! I ordered mine from Elliot Ace Hardware in Elm Grove Wisconsin. This is a pilot store for Weber and I believe the only place they are sold in the US. They are not always available, and I'm not sure if they can order more when they are out but it's worth a try. Total cost shipped from Wisconsin to California was $212.64.

I tried Elliot but they were sold out and didn't seem interested. So I went with about $20 more from Europe.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:47:38 AM by bama bbq »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 06:49:14 AM »
Just awesome bama!! Very glad you were able to track one down... to be honest I'm shocked it wasn't more than that with shipping! Shipping was only $60 from Italy?! That's a STEAL.

Let's see some pies!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:00:37 AM »
Here ya go.  I am still not there on my dough.  This is the forth dough I've tried - first on the Pizza Oven.

The instructions call for 100 coals:

This one cooked very quickly and is very close to what I am looking for:

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
Looks fantastic!
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »
Man I want one of these! Looks awesome!

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 12:54:04 AM »
bama bbq,

Are you fluent in German?  If not, is there any chance you could outline how you actually ordered the pizza oven?  I've been to Amazon.de and it recognizes my Amazon login but my German skills are nil so actually ordering the item is tough.  When you run it through Google translate the Amazon.de site doesn't receive cookies so you can't proceed with the order in English.  I'd appreciate any help or info you can share.

thanks

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
Bit the Bullet: Weber Original Charcoal Pizza Oven (Weber Part No 6520)
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 02:39:00 AM »
I am not fluent but I was stationed there three years when i was in the Army and I took a cpl college courses. But what really helped was google translate.

You're right after a page or two it quit translating via the link so I selected the pertinent data, copy, and paste into the translator. Being somewhat familiar with Amazon, I figured out which button to push and pushed it.

Bottom line. It was slow but worked.  I got it surprisingly quick and not a scratch on it. They promised delivery between 16-22 Dec. it arrived the 15th.

Interesting how Amazon (much less Weber) won't sell these in the US. It's designed by the British, made in China, bought thru a German website, shipped from Italy, by a US company.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:52:43 AM by bama bbq »

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 03:11:32 AM »
That pizza looks great to me. I haven't cooked a pizza on my kettle yet, but when I do it in the house I buy my dough from my favorite local pizza shop. I know that's cheating, but I really like their dough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 06:46:58 AM »
I've used google translate (chrome browser) with no issues on Amazon.fr, Amazon.it, and Amazon.uk.

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 12:19:33 AM »
I've used google translate (chrome browser) with no issues on Amazon.fr, Amazon.it, and Amazon.uk.

Works well on Amazon.de also. Very slick.  Thanks for the tip.  I'm giving some thought to ordering one of these pizza ovens after the Holiday shipping rush.  Shame you can't order one in the US.  As was mentioned above, going to Germany to buy something from a company that is an American icon seems kind of odd.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 07:05:10 AM »
Fine looking piece of machinery.

Tell me - How easy was it to slide the pizza into the cooker with the lid down? What temp do you think that pie was cooking at? I don't see a lid thermometer so I am not sure if you can tell.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 05:41:19 AM »

Fine looking piece of machinery.

Tell me - How easy was it to slide the pizza into the cooker with the lid down? What temp do you think that pie was cooking at? I don't see a lid thermometer so I am not sure if you can tell.

I opened the lid so don't know the answers to either question... Yet. I'll get back to you.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 10:06:18 AM »
Great looking pies esp for a first go on the new rig! Nice work bama!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E