Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How big of a turkey on a CB roti?  (Read 1686 times)

KevinT

• Smokey Joe
How big of a turkey on a CB roti?
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
Hi All,

I see on Weber's site they recommend no larger than a 20lb turkey on their roti. Anybody tried to max out a Cajun Bandit roti? How big did you go? I have a 26lb bird for Christmas Eve.. Any thoughts appreciated.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: How big of a turkey on a CB roti?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
i did a 25 pounder on my CB rotisserie years ago.

the biggest challenge is getting it in-balance. If its out of balance, the motor will be a bit sluggish. I used a very large onion on the spit to help hold the bird from within the cavity.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:33:33 PM »
Dayum! My experience with bigazz birds is they just don't cook evenly and my results sucked. I stick to 12-14lb'rs for the rotisserie, and if I have something like an 18-22lb turkey I do a "leaping Frog" cut or portion them up and cook individually - thats just me.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »
Get a bigger motor

KevinT

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. Just finished a resto on a EO SS performer.... Pics soon .... And cooking for the entire in-law fam Xmas eve. 25-30 folks. Bird on performer. Ham and maybe rjbs on the WSM. Inaugural run on the SS was burgers tonight. All good. Will prob just throw the bird on the performer with the CB ring for extra space and foil as needed.

Thanks
Kevin