Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Better for pizza 22" or 18"  (Read 2653 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Better for pizza 22" or 18"
« on: November 28, 2014, 07:11:56 PM »
Been researching making pizza on the kettle without getting a pizza kettle ring. Many people say lifting the pizza stone closer to lid helps cook the top more evenly with the bottom.

Here is my question: since the 18" kettle has a flat lid that's lower to grate would this be better for cooking pizza?

Would the smaller diameter and overall volume help or hurt? Less air to heat but less room for charcoal also.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: Better for pizza 22" or 18"
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:40:31 AM »
Either one will work. The 22 will allow you to use a larger diameter stone for larger pies. And yes, raise the stone. An easy way to do that, if you have the charcoal baskets, is to set those on top of the cooking grate and set your stone on that. I have some posts here of what I've done with out a Kettle Pizza.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
Thanks @Nate. It looks like largest stones I've seen locally are 15" round which should fit fit either right? 

I like The idea of using baskets to lift stone. I was going to use those or fire bricks that I have.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:52:03 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:34:20 AM »
I couldn't prevent the pizzas' bottom from burning until I used 2 firebricks under the stone. Raising the stone with charcoal holders wasn't working in that regard. On an 18.5 kettle you can still close the lid when 2 bricks are laid flat under the stone. Can't go too big with stone diameter, then. I have the thicker of 2 models Pampered Chef has made (has no handles...a thinner one they have has slight handles formed into the stone.)

Firebricks laid flat create a serious heat barrier however (duh) and ALSO in my experience, 2 chimneys of lit lump don't really get it hot enough for a quick cook.

Overall, my setup works but I may go back to just charcoal holders avian and try harder to keep coals from piling in the center.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:04:01 AM »
Here's a little more on the setup I use to use before the KP. 
  1 full chimney of kbb lit.
  Pour lit kbb in the kettle around the edges. I usually went 3/4 the way around.
  Added a few more unlit kbb on top of that and let the grill preheat.
  I could reach air temps above the stone in the 550 range and the stone, I believe, around 400-450
  Throw the pizza on and watch through the lid vent.
  Looked at the bottom of the crust around the 3 min mark.
  Rotate the pizza  180 at the 6 min mark and finish cooking. Usually another 5-6 min.

My stone was sitting on a smaller cooking grate elevated with ss bolts.

So, I have a 16.5 in diameter stone and tried it on my 18. I believe the diameter of the stone limited the amount of heat above the stone and couldn't get the pizza to cook properly on top. But, this size stone works well on the 22.

There are different ways to do this. You just need to give it a go and see which method works best for you.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:05:49 AM by Nate »

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »
http://www.pizzacraft.com/perfect-pizza-grilling-stone.html

Here's what I use. Has been used on 18, 22, and 26r. I can't say I have a preferred kettle on this but I do tend to use the 18 more. 

3/4 chimney and a chunk of hickory or whatever is closest. I also heat the stone in the oven while the coals are firing up to speed up time.

Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.