Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I'm getting an early 2000's Performer for free, and have some questions  (Read 2774 times)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
So my girlfriend's grandfather is getting a new performer for Christmas, and he offered to give me his old one for free.  So wooot free performer.  He said he's had it for like 10 years, and it has a plastic table so I assume its early 2000s.  Only issue is that the bottom of the bowl and the ash sweeper are majorly rusted out.  I'd like to replace the bowl, and I'd like to do so with one of the 2015 model bowl lids if possible.  Can I just buy a new OTG and drop the bowl in, or do I need a performer bowl for it?  I know I can buy the new metal table from Weber directly.  If I go to Weber are they only going to be selling me the comparable bowl/colors to the year associated with the vent code?

I really want a copper 2015 bowl/lid combo to go in it.  Though if they offer me a red or brick red color for the early 2000s one I may have to go with that.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: I'm getting an early 2000's Performer for free, and have some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
You will prob have to buy the bowl and lid as they are out of warranty.  Sometimes you might be able to sweet talk the customer service person.  There is another way and I'm not advocating it but you can always give them a vent code that is within the last ten years, but that would be cheating and you need to justify that with St. Peter.  :^)  Since you already have a performer they will sell you the stuff you need.  I would certainly advocate making a play for the 2015 parts, however you may go about getting what you need.    You will not be able to drop in a OTG, you need the performer brackets welded on the sides.  I suppose you could try to cut brackets out of aluminum L brackets and do all kinds of stuff but that wouldn't work out that great

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 05:39:02 PM »
Thanks for the info Zavod44!  Important stuff to know.  Anyone have any idea how much a bowl and lid from Weber will probably be?

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
I bet a hundred at least...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »
How rusted out is the bowl ? Are you sure that it's not just a bunch of crud built up ?

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 02:00:29 AM »
Thanks for the info Zavod44!  Important stuff to know.  Anyone have any idea how much a bowl and lid from Weber will probably be?

Weber prices for parts are hard to find at times.  I like to look at eReplacementparts to get at least an idea.  The link below is for a 2005 Performer and shows both bowls and lids.  My experience with Weber customer service is a little mixed.  I'm rehabbing a 2005 Genesis gas grill at present with rusted out burners which are warrantied for 10 years.  When calling about warranty replacement I was told no as I wasn't the original owner.  They did offer 50% off which of course I took so that was nice.  However when you read some of the rehab threads it seems like people get parts for CL curb finds free under warranty quite frequently.

The link:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/weber-841004-2005-charcoal-performer-grill-parts-c-193079_193086_193495.html

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 03:50:59 AM »
Before you buy anything, clean it up and post photos.

Ive bought some "rusted out" kettles that just needed a good cleaning and with the advice from members here were completely restored.

Often the vents and grates are rusted but the bowl and lid are ok. Vents and Grates are easier to clean and cheaper to replace too.

If you do need to replace, You can post a want to buy (WTB) in the member sales and trades section. I see ads for parts like this sometimes. People will buy a performer for a frame and table project and the bowl is left over. Another option to keep in mind.

Good Luck.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 08:20:32 AM »
Thanks for the info guys!  I should have it this evening to finally look at and really access whats up with it.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 06:35:11 AM »
It's a DA so a 2001 performer.  Though it has no lid (he kept it to replace the lid on another weber he has), and the bowl is pretty rusted out with holes in a couple of spots.   Time to watch the sales threads for performer bowls!