Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First try at cold smoking  (Read 1215 times)

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
First try at cold smoking
« on: December 02, 2014, 01:36:36 PM »
Well, today it's chilly in the Dallas area so I figured it might be s good chance to try some cold smoking. My wife picked up some Gouda and some Cheddar for me to try.

I came up with an idea to use my 26r with some pellets in a veggie steamer basket. I lit two coals and got them going. Then I placed them in the basket and poured some hickory pellets over the top of them. They began to smoke and smolder pretty well. I did have a couple flare ups in temperature (fire) that I had to extinguish but overall, it worked pretty well. I have since wrapped the cheese to cool all the way down and will try it in another day or two.

Here are some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First try at cold smoking
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »
That is brilliant, I bought the amazen pellet smoker for 3x that much.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try on my CI smoker box.

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:48:57 AM »
Yeah I saw an item one at for cold smoking for 20.00. It was basically a very large tea infuser and a small bottle of pellets. I thought it was a great idea and set out to find an infuser. In my search, I came across the steamer basket and just knew this would do the trick. I still have to master the temperature management, but this was a good start. Next time I do it, I'm going to try it in my large offset smoker simply because the air temp will be much cooler at the opposite end of the smoker.

My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »
Yeah I saw an item one at for cold smoking for 20.00. It was basically a very large tea infuser and a small bottle of pellets. I thought it was a great idea and set out to find an infuser. In my search, I came across the steamer basket and just knew this would do the trick. I still have to master the temperature management, but this was a good start. Next time I do it, I'm going to try it in my large offset smoker simply because the air temp will be much cooler at the opposite end of the smoker.

Haaaaaaa! On eBay right?  Lol I saw that and actually bought a large infuser from Amazon & some pellets locally once the weather changed. Where did you buy your steamer basket from?

One thing I question is the sturdiness of the tea infuser after multiple uses!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:02:04 AM by eccj »

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
First try at cold smoking
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 11:03:52 AM »
Well, for sturdiness, we will see. Only time will tell. Since cold smoking will probably amount to 5 percent of my total smoking, I'm sure it will work for a reasonable time...and, it's cheap enough to replace when it dies.

I got it from Bed a Bath and Beyond

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:48:15 PM by aguyindallas »