Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: charcoal goes out in char-basket  (Read 3422 times)

bobbytables

• Smokey Joe
charcoal goes out in char-basket
« on: November 25, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
I picked up the weber char-basket(s) about a month ago and have used them twice.  Both times my fire has gone out in one of the baskets.  I assume it is because the charcoal is clogging the air vents, but I'm a weber newb so what do i know.  I am using royal oak lump.  Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
Using Tapatalk

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: charcoal goes out in char-basket
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 05:48:26 PM »
It's all about air flow make sure you have enough airflow.....
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

ojay

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »
I rave to all my friends about the baskets, however, perhaps lump is your problem.
 I only use briquettes if I'm using baskets (due to airflow)
Give that a shot and hopefully it'll turn out better.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:42:24 PM »
What are you using for Charcoal. Mine never go out. I use a chimney to get the coals started and then dump in the baskets..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »
I doubt it's charcoal ash clogging the basket. Are you sure that that charcoal is fully lit? If you use a chimney sometimes the charcoal on top isn't fully lit and won't catch when you pour it into a basket. This usually happens for the first basket you pour. If so, pour 1/4 of the chimney in basket #1, 1/2 in Basket #2, then the remaining 1/4 in basket number #1 to better distribute lit coal. What is your setup?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
When you use lump in the baskets, you should really put it in there like a jigsaw puzzle. You need to eliminate the gaps between pieces. That might be your problem, not air flow. You could put bigger pieces in and fill the gaps with smaller pieces. I tried the baskets a few times, now I just pile it up offset. I use a piece of 1/2 inch expanded metal on my charcoal grate so the small pieces of lump don't fall through. I also use a weed burner to light the lump.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:59:38 PM by blackdog043 »
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

bobbytables

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:04:42 PM »
I've only used Royal Oak lump. The first time i used the baskets I lit a full chimney until the top coals were turning white and then just divided it between the two baskets. that was for a 2 hour cook and one burned perfectly the whole time and one went out.  The second time was this morning when i was smoking my first turkey on the kettle (very happy with how my first bird turned out btw even though it was far from perfect). I put a layer of unlit coals on the bottom of each basket.  i lit a half chimney and when it was burning good i split the coals into the two baskets.  again, one burned fine for the 3.5 hours even with me adding more coals every now and again, but the other one snuffed out about an hour into it.  thanks for all the help.
I'm not sure if this pic is any help, but the offending basket is on the left. this is after it had already gone out though and I'd rearranged the charcoal and put some fresh coals in. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:17:39 PM by bobbytables »
Using Tapatalk

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 07:22:26 PM »
I use mine and love them. I use only kingsford and then toss a couple pieces of wood on top for smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

bobbytables

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »
well i really jigsawed the lump in there this morning as recommended above and both of the baskets burned flawlessly. it makes it alot easier to control the temp when half your fire doesn't go out :-)
Using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
Bobby, I'm glad that worked for you. If you need another bbq tool I use a welding hammer to pack my charcoal and split up the larger pieces. They are really cheap at harbor freight or online.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bobbytables

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »
thanks gummi! I've been thinking about a way to handle the giant lumps and you just solved it for me.
Using Tapatalk