Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spiced Apple Cider Brine  (Read 1620 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Spiced Apple Cider Brine
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »
Thought I'd share an easy brine

16 pound Turkey , food grade , clean bucket

Estimate how much brine you'll need by putting your turkey in a bucket and cover with water, I'm using a combination of brine and spiced apple cider .

This beer making bucket works great it has measurements, a drain spout and a lid . I'm going to use 2 gallons of brine and 1 gallon cider . Plus I'm adding 2 cups of infused water.

Thawed bird, neck and stuff removed

1 cup water per gallon of brine needed to that add 3/4 salt and 3/4 cup sugar

I put 2 cups water on to boil added 1 1/2 cups each of kosher salt and sugar ( I used brown )  and I will add that to my 2 gallons of water later .

read about different salts in brines , they are different

dissolve and simmer add fresh cracked pepper , bay leaves, allspice and ?? ? Brines are fairly simple , add what you like as long as your salt, sugar and water stay the same.

Try and dissolve the salt and sugar completely , it will be almost syrup like, simmer and then cool completely .
 Now on to the 2 gallons of water in the bucket . Again it's what you like , I'm using 6-8 cloves of garlic , onion , ginger, orange and lemon plus some green apples.

Now take  your salt and sugar syrup mix  and add it to the fresh water , stir to make sure all salt and sugar is dissolved completely.

Next add your one gallon of spiced cider and mix.

Brine is done

Put in your turkey

I'm putting this outside , because it's cold here , my fridge is 40 degrees and it's 40 outside , with an overnight low of 35 expected , perfect brining weather.

Tomorrow, after 24 hours  I'll pull the bird I'll dry the bird and put it in the fridge to air dry for 24 more hours and then roast it  on Thursday .
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:03:43 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

SixZeroFour

Re: Spiced Apple Cider Brine
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:38:15 AM »
Excellent post Idahawk - Thank you for this! This is going to be my first time turkey and brine bible!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: Spiced Apple Cider Brine
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
I just did an edit , to make it easier to understand.
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs