Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thanksgiving turkey, running a snake, 2x2, what temps do you see wide open?  (Read 4031 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
My Mom wants me to do a turkey on the Weber for Thanksgiving in addition to the traditional oven baked turkey they do. My plan right now is to run my temps up around 300 with a snake and some apple. Although I've used a snake many times, I've never shot for this high of temperature. Have any of you guys ran a 2x2 with your vents wide open on a 22.5? If so, what kind of temps do you see consistently at the grate?

I've got some time before Thanksgiving, so if no one knows, I'll take one for the team and experiment with a 2x2 and a 2x2x1 with the vents wide open and report back. When I run a 2x2, I usually have to cut back the bottom vent a ways to maintain 250, so I'm thinking a 2x2 might do the trick.

Thanks!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
AZ, I am doing my first turkey this year too. Ive gotten a ton of advice from some vets here. It seems like the general consensus is that higher heat is better for the skin. Most folks go with all the charcoal lit to start and refill as they go. Do a search on Turkey and you will get a ton of advice and info.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
When I run a snake, I usually do it 2x2, and start with like 15 lit coals, and hot water in a water pan.  Depending on how cold it is out, if I opened my vents up I could easily sit at 325 - 350.

Here's a BBQ with Franklin series on thanksgiving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWHOEkBLAg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4V_ef8P8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVP6CM6seU

Good luck with it!

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
On my old yellow 3 wheeler...i get 350 wide open on a snake...

on my green OTG, it sits closer to 325.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Thanks guys. I appreciate the thoughts and comments. Sounds like a 2x2 is going to be no problem.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
I start with all lit coals in my charcoal holders for the first 2 1/2 hours at around 325 and then refill with hot coals for the last 2 to 2 1/2 hours.  About 5 hours total at 325 or so for my 16lb bird.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
My experience says skip the water pan.

It lowers/regulates the temperature to much with the big bird you do not want low and slow like a butt.

Red

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
I did this for thanksgiving. I did a 2x2x1 and tossed some cherry wood in the mix. I ran it wide open on my 26er and sat pretty steady between 250 and 275. I did have a room temp pan of Apple juice, Apple sauce, onion, and sliced Apple in the middle, under my turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
Also, I started with10 lit coals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
So what was the result on all these different methods... Please update.

I did a 3x2x1 opposing side double snake with pecan.  With a slow rotate to match the burn of course. Used the BBQPitboys cider brine. Breast down for 80minutes and up for 60 @350. 14lb bird

Came out pretty damn good. Next time I'm gonna soak in the brine longer.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Thanksgiving turkey, running a snake, 2x2, what temps do you see wide open?
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »
So what was the result on all these different methods... Please update.

I did a 3x2x1 opposing side double snake with pecan.  With a slow rotate to match the burn of course. Used the BBQPitboys cider brine. Breast down for 80minutes and up for 60 @350. 14lb bird

Came out pretty damn good. Next time I'm gonna soak in the brine longer.

@MINIgrillin

Mine was set up about like yours, but the temp ran a bit lower thru a longer time............

Brine & shot, even though I was asking somebody else ( who?) if they really needed to do both......that actually turned out pretty well using both......

Was wondering how Monsoon's went too.....   @AZ Monsoon  ?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
@1buckie

Temps were about 335-350. It was a pretty fast cook. 2 1/2hrs  or so. Temps dipped a bit due to wind.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »
Was wondering how Monsoon's went too.....   @AZ Monsoon  ?

Our plans changed a little and we ended getting up to my parents house around 11 am. I went with the charcoal rails and around 25 coals per basket, refilling with 6-8 coals every 45 minutes or so. I was running 300 - 375 all the way through. It turned out good.

I went with some apple wood. I think next year, I will go straight charcoal.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:51:39 PM by AZ Monsoon »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
Cool.....glad it went well........always like to see what happened when folks are asking about setups & the like.......

I've done them with only Wicked Good lump......has a really nice flavor to it & almost no possibility of foul smoke as it's really well manufactured charcoal.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »
when you have to add coals to you add lit or unlit thanks, jd
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer