Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need some quick help choosing a rub! Whatcha think?!?  (Read 1854 times)

SixZeroFour

Need some quick help choosing a rub! Whatcha think?!?
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »
Hi folks,

Going to do a small pork shoulder in the WSM today... question is, which rub do I use?!?

I have only used the one to the far right for a butt before - the rest would be inaugural attempts :)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need some quick help choosing a rub! Whatcha think?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:53:28 AM »
Obviously the one with the genie. 

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »
I've heard good things about the Simple Marv rubs, but I have personally used that plowboys rub on a butt before, so i can personally vouch for that one. i slathered the butt with mustard and then used plowboys with just a little more sprinkling of coarse black pepper (we like that down here).  it turned out great.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
sweet seduction.

in the last 4 years i've gone through 40 pounds of that rub.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:04:16 PM »
Cheers for the advice guys, I went with the sweet seduction this time and will go with the yardbird next time around :)

Will post a pic or two when it comes off the WSM

edgy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 06:08:30 PM »
+1 For simply marvellous, I love their rubs... especially the spicy apple on pork!

We don't get the sweet seduction here, would like to hear your feedback

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »
I have them all except Brian Misko's House of Q rub. When I cook in BC, I always use some of Rob Rhienhardts Prairie Smoke and Spice seasoning. They have both turned a passion into a full time jobs and are Canadian BBQ Ambassadors and excellent cooks, plus their rubs are usually used when they cook meats for training new Certified BBQ Judges, so it helps to throw some on!

My vote for House of Q since I haven't tried it yet.

I'd layer Plowboys Yardird and Bovine Bold for serious Butt action!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:11:41 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »
Just pulled the (tiny!) shoulder off the WSM and it's now foiled and resting. I'm eating alone tonight so had to adjust accordingly. As with every other butt I have ever cooked it took longer than expected and I am starving!! Ah well, it should just taste all that much better when I finally do get to chow in an hour or so :)

Couple quick shots:

I have them all except Brian Misko's House of Q rub. When I cook in BC, I always use some of Rob Rhienhardts Prairie Smoke and Spice seasoning. They have both turned a passion into a full time jobs and are Canadian BBQ Ambassadors and excellent cooks, plus their rubs are usually used when they cook meats for training new Certified BBQ Judges, so it helps to throw some on!

My vote for House of Q since I haven't tried it yet.

Hey @swamprb if you're up for a rub trade I would gladly send some House of Q down to you if you like! LMK!

I LOVE the Prairie Smoke and Spice Chicken and Rib Rub - one of my fav's for sure.

Next time you are up in BC let me know - maybe I can come say hello!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:35:45 PM by SixZeroFour »